Tiger 800 Stalling and starting prob

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by crispey, Jul 16, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    hi, this has happened a couple of times. I have taken the tiger out, either into london, dribble riding, or open road riding. I have stopped and restarted the bike no problems, but on a couple of occasions I've stalled it :oops: and it's been a b*gger to start again. Is there a safety gizmo? Battery seems to charge ok as I can ride it leave it for Few days with alarm on and she starts fine. It's only if I stall it. I know! I know! don't stall it is the answer. But it happens now and again

2. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Perhaps the electronics need to reset? Do you switch it off completely and go through a normal start up routine or just press the starter without turning off the ignition?

3. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Bit of both but probably didn't wait long enough. It was just as I was parking luckily so will go and try again

4. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Just an update!
    Volts on "resting"battery 12.6 shortly after start fail. So no prob there. Came back at end of day and started no probs. Left over night with alarm on and charger not attached and started fine. Restarted no probs 3 times. So must just be something when you stall

5. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup, like a battery with no oomph, almost catches then doesn't. And Nah!

6. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup that'll be my plan once o get home.

• Like Like x 1
  7. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    It happened again last night. first time since July. Had to drive through london to stratford, no probs. coming home along the Embankment she stalled, I stalled her? not doing anything different but just stalled as i was trickling along in traffic, went to restart, turned over twice then dead, did this a couple of times same result. tried to bump her but it was uphill and couldn't get enough momentum. biker stopped and i turned her round, the bike you fool!!!, so pointing down hill and with him pushing it started no probs. Rode it like a FS1E for the next mile or so, revs no lower than 3000, and everything fine. got home stopped her and started her 3 times no probs.
    Many,many thanks to the guy and his girlfriend, that stopped, not on a triumph so probably wont see this, but I did catch up with them and thanked them profusely. maybe a headlight bypass gizmo is in order? Might post a question in an other thread.

8. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    It may be worth resetting the tickover throttle position sensor diddily wotsit in Tune ECU. If it is stalling at tickover it may be a reset issue.

Mine can often drop to 1,000 rpm after a run and come to a stop goes back to normal

There was two occasions earlier this year when mine stalled (once outside the front of Ace Cafe:oops:) and it wouldn't start, just no juice in the battery. A while later I realised my battery wasn't recharging properly althoughthe Volts looked okay at rest (12.6v) I later replaced the stator and it has been fine since.

If you are ordering those headlight modules from SquareDeals, it may be worth getting the Koso Voltmeter too (Cheaper at SD than from Amazon and Ebay), I just installed mine and it is a good window into the health of your charging system

• Like Like x 1
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Steve, I'd like to bet any money that the problem is due to the IAC valve (Idle Air Control). It is this that controls starting and idling. It works with a stepper motor and vacuum from each of the throttle bodies and is located under the airbox.

Apparently the stepper motor valve assy get dirty and sticks, so cleaning is usually all it needs. The vacuum hoses are known to perish and this affects the vacuum. To replace the hoses with triumph jobbies is not too dear but it's only vacuum hose that can be bought (and has been, by me) by the running metre.

I'm just about to do this job on my 955i as it has the same system and the same issues.

• Like Like x 2
  10. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Thanks for your replies, I'll look into them. Cheerd

11. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Sounds like the stepper motor shaft wants cleaning and lubing Mr Crispey.

Two of the symptoms are bike won't tick over therefore stalling and reluctant to start.

Dave.

12. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Thanks tigs, but bike idles fine before stall and once she's started again

13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Yes Steve but imo what you are experiencing is the early symptoms of stator/IAC valve stickiness.

14. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Crispey, If you want to reset the ecu start the bike without touching the throttle and let the bike idle for 12 minutes, again without touching the throttle.

I've never had to reset myself but believe that's the way to do it :rolleyes:

Dave.

15. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    cheers mate, do that one every once in a while

will have a look ta BL

16. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Speed Triple R 2016 - 2,000 miles

Sitting in London traffic this morning in very hot weather, and as I approached red traffic lights I pull the clutch in and the revs drop to zero and stall while I am still coasting forwards.
    As said before, could it be high usage oft he cooling fan drain the battery and result in not enough voltage when the rev drop or more likely the stepper motor is lettingthe revs drop too far.
    I will do a stepper motor reset by starting it up and leavingthe throttle for 12 mins as suggested.

This wouldn't be so bad if the battery had enough immidiate juice to start the motor, but it takes 20 seconds or so for it to recover enough to turn the motor over which is quite dangerous at the front of three lanes of traffic

I will be seeing my dealers this weekend and ask if it could possibly be a warranty issue.

17. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi RT, This lack of voltage sounds a bit peculiar so that's I would be chasing initially at least. There is no excuse for the motor to not fire up again immediately, assuming the bike is in neutral, the side stand is up and the cutout switch is not on.

I suspect a charging and/or battery issue.

18. Martin Bayliss

Apr 5, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    I think this is fairly common as I have had it a few times on my Triumphs. The more aware of it you become, the more you learn to ride round it, however, here's my take take on what's been happening, in my case at least.

Not enough revs in traffic setting off and you stall, and because of the dent to your pride and not wanting to hinder the traffic, you try to restart the bike immediately, almost too soon! The battery hasn't had a chance to recover from the draw of you dawdling in traffic so give it another couple of seconds. Remember the alternator won't be putting much back into the battery if anything at all if your revs are consistently below c 3k.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tulifau

Tulifau New Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Alabama
    Hello all,

New to the Triumph forums. Got my hands on a Tiger 800xc and have been having a similar problem as above. I was reading through the manual and I am going to attempt to clean the stepper motor valve this weekend and was wondering if it is necessary to remove the throttle bodies as the manual suggests? I am assuming I am having the sticking problem as the previous owner put in a K&M air filter kit and said it needs to be cleaned and oiled soon and I haven’t and I’m assuming that since that’s in proximity to the stepper motor valve that perhaps it’s dirty as well. Thanks for any help and pointers!!

20. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I didn’t have to remove mine to get to it, but I didn’t remove the stepper motor only sprayed some lube in there. Got myself a higher cranking battery too which seems to have helped