Sprint St1050 Questions, Suspension And Servicing

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Djuwenda, Jan 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Djuwenda

Djuwenda New Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Warwickshire
    Hello I have an ST1050, its an 08, with ABS, heated grips and 23k miles. The bike is new to me, and whilst I have ridden a few miles on two wheels I know nothing about ST's in general and even less about this one (bought cheaply without history)

Suspension:
    It feels to me like the despite the low miles, it could really do with a forks service and a new rear shock. What do people tend to use in terms of spring rates and rear shock upgrades? is the original any good in which case I will get it serviced, or I am better of sourcing an aftermarket item?

Other bits:
    this was very much an impulse purchase, so I know precious little. I want to stick fresh oil and filter in it and will need to work out what sort of servicing may be due on it. I don't even know what the intervals may be for the cam chain. it is chain driven right?

Is there an online copy of the owners manual and or workshop manual somewhere?

Lastly, I live in the Coventry area, does anyone have any recommendations for mechanics?

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #2 Sprinter, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    I have a GT I would start by retuning your forks and shocks to "factory settings"
    the forks are 3 rings showing on the rebound adjuster on top of the forks same both sides
    If the bikes are the same ( and they are nearly identical) then the rear shock has a flat head screw on the bottom on the left and I know the pre load is different I have a knob on the right at the top. I dont have the paperwork here Ill get it soon.
    Get a manual.
    If you have no service history then service it
    My suspension was way off and when I got it set + the sag, it made a big difference, I just change the fork oil and this sorted out the dip at first front brake application.I would suggest fork oil,is goosed until proven otherwise

http://www.bowl-of-mice.co.uk/ServiceJobs.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/54497-fork-oil-increasing-viscosity-and-oil-level.html

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph-motorcycle-parts.html

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/809508/Triumph-Sprint-St.html?page=92

• Like Like x 1
  3. Djuwenda

Djuwenda New Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Warwickshire
    I have read your thread with great interest actually.

From what I read, there is a fairly important weight difference between the two bikes , and the GT has a longer wheelbase. So its likely we will see some differences on the suspension set up.

Point taken on the returning to standard before doing anything else though. And the user manual. In my experience, spending a few quid on suspension has always proved money well spent, especially as I tend to buy cheap, older bikes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    #4 t552, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Major Service is at 12/24k
    main dealer price 650-800£ to do right.
    Lots to be done inc susp and hub
    shock upgrade is YSS.
    Best mechanic is Clive Wood in Swineshead Lincs.
    about 1.5 hr ride
    Clive can also supply the shock.
    Google to see recommendations or fb" Clive Wood Triumph"

• Like Like x 2
  5. Djuwenda

Djuwenda New Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Warwickshire
    I looked the guy up, and he does indeed attract glowing recommendations from clients all over the UK!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Djuwenda

Djuwenda New Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Warwickshire

Wow...

So I have been to see Mr Wood... and am I glad I did!

The first thing I hadn't grasped was that the single sided swingarm requires special care, compared with a regular design.
    Because, these maintenance operations are fairly specific, a lot of people, and workshops wont bother doing it, sometimes despite the fact they have charged for it.

The ST tends to be the workhorse of the triumph range accumulating miles throughout the winter on salty roads, where a Daytona 675, 955 or a Triple tends to live a cosseted garage life only coming out in dry weather.

Predictably these tend to then fail, but the design of the swingarm means their removal becomes very tricky and can often lead to irremediable damage to the swingarm.

Putting your bike on its centre stand and moving the back wheel by hand will instantly show play and, according to Clive a very scary number of ST's on the road are being ridden on seized or collapsed bearing. He had told me about it before he'd seen my bike and was able to demonstrate it straight away!

Anyways, check your rear wheel for play! about a millimetre is normal, apparently.

Cheers T552 for pointing me in Clive's direction. Top chap, lives and breathes Triumph, a fountain of knowledge and was more than happy to have me sat nearby whilst he was explaining what he was doing, how and why he was doing it. I cant say I have enjoyed the ride there and back, but I doubt anyone else would have imparted so much knowledge...

Anyone with a Triumph should know this guy.

IMG_20180202_122855.jpg

IMG_20180202_123430.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  7. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    I am glad you went to see Clive.
    As you say he is more than happy to pass on to you his knowledge (which is vast when it comes to triumph). In my opinion one of the very best triumph techs in the UK.
    Many use a Clive Wood stamp in their service history as a plus point come sale time. His reputation is beyond reproach.

8. Djuwenda

Djuwenda New Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Warwickshire

Not as glad as I am !

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hi Djuwenda, glad you got your bike sorted and thanks for posting the pics of the suspension but what exactly did you have done. You seem to show the linkage dismantled and pretty grim looking bearings but which pin is the second pic showing, is that the main swing arm pivot pin? Did Clive take the swing arm out and service all the bearings and did you have any work done on the eccentric hub. I plan to check the bearings in the linkage on my S3 but upon checking the chain tension recently the hub rotates freely. Cheers.

10. Djuwenda

Djuwenda New Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Warwickshire
    I believe that pin is part of the suspension bearing. hope my terminology is correct here.
    Clive wanted to go to also service the main swingarm bearing, but I didnt give him enough time to do so.
    The eccentric adjuster turned out not be seized, a rarity apparently, so "we" did not need to take it apart. I am told these are a complete bar steward if not serviced according to schedule

attached is a picture of Clive's demonstration swingarm, normally used to point bits out and teach maintenance

IMG_20180202_173046.jpg

• Like Like x 3