St1050 Not Starting

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by mortzz, Nov 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mortzz

mortzz New Member

Nov 4, 2019
    cumbria
    Hello I have a 2007 plate ST1050 triple and up to now its been faultless, ok so I went to start it the other day and it started ticked over and then just stopped, so ive changed the plugs , the battery is new, ive put a new air filter in as the old one was really bad , so its got spark, petrol in the tank, so there is petrol in the fuel pipe to the injectors and it does seem to be under pressure which I think tells me the fuel pumps ok, next thing ive put some petrol down the pots and it starts so the issue is petrol, so what would stop the fuel getting to the fuel rail ?

Thank
    Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    If the breather pipes are blocked it will create a vacuum and fuel starve :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Try leaving the filler cap open and if it makes a difference you have hopefully found your problem.
    Hello and welcome BTW.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mortzz

mortzz New Member

Nov 4, 2019
    cumbria
    many thanks for yr answers you know there is 2 pipes going coming off the tank on the right hand side one has a one way valve weave taken them off and unsure which way round they go any one know please

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mortzz

mortzz New Member

Nov 4, 2019
    cumbria
    Ok so I've tried starting it with the fuel cap open and still will only turn over but not fire, we then tried Tune ECU and it connected ok but showed no code faults so I'm left with a bike that will crank bit not fire and no fault codes, the only thing leftus to take it to my local bike shop I feel I've failed

6. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I believe that the fuel system relies on the pump to supply the correct fuel pressure as most dont have a return system so no fuel pressure regulator required so my first port of call would be to check it has the correct fuel pressure if not it wont start or idle as the injectors cant supply enough fuel without the correct pressure, next i would check that the injectors are actually receiving the opening puls from the ECU.

7. mortzz

mortzz New Member

Nov 4, 2019
    cumbria
    Thanks for yr reply but would it not have come up on as a error code when we scanned it? There is pressure in the pipe to the rail but as said if it's not at the correct pressure it wont work..

8. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Things like pumps and injectors only throw a code if the is a failure but not if they are just not working to spec.

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Your system probably runs at about 50 psi so any significant fall off will affect atomisation and even lead to injectors clogging. However on an 07 bike it could simply be accumulated dirt at the tank end. It IS getting a spark?

10. mortzz

mortzz New Member

Nov 4, 2019
    cumbria
    Yes it has spark new plugs, is there a multimeter check i can do on the pump ? Also how can I check the flow rate ? As said it fires if you put fuel down the pots.. also what's the crack with the 2 silver outlet pipes on the right hand side of the tank one seems to be free as I can stick a needle down it but the other has something stopping it like a one valve .. what do they do

11. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    the pipes are an overflow to get rid off water around the fuel cap. and the other with the one way valve is your tank breather. the valve is supposed to stop fuel leaking from the tank if the bike is on its side.

12. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    the pipes are an overflow to get rid off water around the fuel cap. and the other with the one way valve is your tank breather. the valve is supposed to stop fuel leaking from the tank if the bike is on its side.

13. dammag

dammag New Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Do a compression test if you have looked at other things.

14. Cyril

Cyril New Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Miami, FL
    topics seemed related so thought I would post here; any thoughts? T.y. Low end in 1st/2nd (1-3K) doesn't have torque expected .. discovered hose from airbox to ecu disconnected so put that back in place (rubber couplings on both sides crumbly!) but symptoms continue (not sticking at 4-5k on way down anymore .. still kind of snatchy 1-3k). Tank has slight vacuum after running for a bit so suspect not taking in air as it should .. two nibs towards rear of tank (1 overflow, other breather?). Which is which. If one on right (looking forward) as I suspect can I just stick a wire up to clear? Doesn't tank cap have ventilation mechanism as well? Thanks,