St Rs, Has Anyone Considered Retrofitting And Actual Ignition?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by DaveHarris, Aug 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DaveHarris

DaveHarris New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    scotland
    So I love the bike, but if there's one thing driving me absolutely insane it's the wireless inconvenience key.

I'm wondering if anyone with access to the service manual could tell if the wiring loom is the same as on the S?

I'm thinking that with a new lock set and chassis ecu it might be possible to convert it to a real key system?

2. DaveHarris

DaveHarris New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    scotland
    They still have the key on the S, so I thought it more a gimmick.

But that comment did give me a good idea, the US market model has a kill switch thing on the engine side. Splice the ignition into the wiring for that, leave the wireless key under the seat and we're good! The wiring must be there, I can't imagine it's a whole new loom for the US market.

Do we have any Americans here that can comment if that switch allows the electronics to turn on with that switch switched off?

3. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Hacking and splicing could be fun with CANBUS wiring.....
    What's the problem with the keyless system?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luke_88

Luke_88 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Canada
    Same side switch in Canada. It doesn’t allow the electronics to turn on.

5. Wayne Kitson

Wayne Kitson Member

May 16, 2018
    England
    I personally like the keyless idea just wish the fuel cap and rear seat had been keyless too modded my fuel cap to a keyless will live with the rear seat

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DaveHarris

DaveHarris New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    scotland
    How did you do the fuel cap? That's my biggest gripe.

7. DaveHarris

DaveHarris New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    scotland
    The shut of switch won't be canbus.

The problem is the fuel cap and seat cowl. I've already had to replace the cowl from driving away with the key in the lock and the cowl loose. Then again left the key in the lock for a couple of hour blast, it was almost completely fallen out by the time I got home. I hate rummaging in my leathers for it when I get fuel. It seems small but drives me insane that an 'upgrade' is so much worse than something that's worked since the dawn of time.

I once lost the key for the ducati for a whole day parked in a city somewhere. Turned out it was in the seat lock the whole time just waiting to be nicked (I had a multistrada for 3 years, forgot about that bloody key until I had the RS for a week or two).

Now I think they keyless system has to go, it's F-ing useless. Luckily, from the above I have a solution. If I can get an ignition barrel cut to match my key then I reckon I can get the whole thing done for a couple of hundred quid. Winner!

I'd be delighted if I could join up the S ignition in parallel with the keyless so either worked, but that's a bit pie in the sky without a wiring diagram.

8. Matthew Upshall

Matthew Upshall Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Reading
    #8 Matthew Upshall, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    With respect, it’s not a problem with the bike then. Why don’t you put the key on a lanyard and attach that to your belt or similar?

Matt

9. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I've no problem with the keyless key at all - but I can't remember where I last left my bike.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. DaveHarris

DaveHarris New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    scotland
    While I hear what you're saying, it's a problem that doesn't need to exist, I've 18 years of owning bikes and this has only been an issue on the 2 with keyless start. It's so easy to misplace your keys, we all do it in the house and don't go round wearing lanyards so for me this is just an infuriating issue that hopefully I can resolve.

1st service coming up in a couple of weeks so I'm going to go in and confuse the life out them with my parts list!

11. Wayne Kitson

Wayne Kitson Member

May 16, 2018
    England
    I got a lightech fuel cap no key need bolts straight on there like the ones used in race bikes

12. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I love it too - but tell us more about your fuel cap...it sounds great!

I turn my ignition off when I fill up (to cut the engine of course), but then straight back on again, to prevent the alarm from setting itself...which is another aspect of working out how to live without needing to reach for the key fob.

13. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Ah that's a shame.

I love the keyless ignition, but I am dithering over fitting an Oberon cap - because I like the look of the Triumph original with its T logo. At the end of the day I don't find reaching for the key an issue (at all), it just annoys me that it wasn't thought through properly...like on your KTM.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I feel your pain Dave :), it sounds like Triumph have gone down the same (dead end) road as Ducati, I too had a Multistrada and found the same problems. Stop for fuel and you have to remember which pocket you put the key in, use the key to lift the seat and forget to remove it, ride off, lose it, and you're looking at £100's to replace it. Unless the system is fully keyless you end up with a half arsed system. Ducati would sell you a keyless petrol cap for a few hundred quid, but it also took away the option for key opening, when the electronics failed (it was Italian - so it did) you had to break out the allen key and remove the cap to fill up.:joy:.... (and you still needed the key for the seat lock)
    Added to all this it seems electronic systems (cars included) are potentially less secure due to clever scrotes being able to scan the active key (unless you keep it in a Faraday cage wallet :rolleyes:).

So I have a 2015 Speed, I can't ride away with the key in the seat lock and lose it, when I stop for fuel the key's there right in front of me, the passive chipped key is more secure.
    Do I lust after a keyless system.... Ummm let me think about that. :)

15. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    The Triumph key can be deactivated when not in use, so apparently doesn't need the Faraday wallet...
    Reading the previous posts, the main problem with the partial keyless system seems to be down to the owners memory or lack of.....:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I completely agree.............but because the system is "partial" not complete IMO the system is flawed.
    (and sounds like KTM thought it through properly)
    It presents the owner with added complication and potential problems with virtually no tangible advantage as far as I can see. So you press a button instead of turn a key...is that it? (oh and don't forget to deactivate your key before you put it in your pocket). :laughing:

17. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Not a massive advantage I admit, but I like it that my key, alarm fob and disk lock key aren’t flapping around in front of me :)

18. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Even though it's 'half' a system, I still prefer it to the full 'key' system for my Bonnie.

19. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yes, "each to their own" :)
    After 2 years of endlessly returning the Multistrada to get technology fixed by the dealer I changed my opinion about what is important in a motorbike......
    We could even start a debate about the relative merits of different types of key-rings now! :joy::laughing::joy:
    (I have my old fashioned key on a detachable fob so there's nothing flapping about) :p
    .......or I could get a life :cool::grinning:

20. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    No need for you to get a life.

I think that I've spent more time faffing around with keyring combinations than any item connected to motorcycling. Quick disconnects, clips, straps, lanyards, rings, string, you name it. The free Triumph wrist bands that I pick up in handfuls at various events send me into a frenzy, only topped by what to do with the absolutely massive Triumph key fob that came with my RS (if you use it, you have to dial in a couple of clicks of rebound as compensation).

Maybe this is why I was so pleased to put the whole arsing lot in my pocket :joy:

IMG_7477.JPG

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    Like this right?

Gled.

• Funny Funny x 4
  22. DaveHarris

DaveHarris New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    scotland
    Exactly like that. But with more leather and a helmet.

• Like Like x 1