Sprint St 1050 Rear Indicator Issue

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by deaks25, Sep 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. deaks25

deaks25 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    Hey All

So the rear right indicator on my '05 Sprint ST 1050 seems to have stopped working. Now, I'm a reasonably competent home mechanic, I opened up the indicator unit to inspect the bulb.
    BUT:
    The bulb is actually fine, (I even swapped the left & right bulbs over to prove it to myself!), but the right one doesn't operate. Front indicator functions fine. In fact, it functions too well; the right hand side operates as if both bulbs are working, i.e. blinks at the correct rate.

I assumed a relay issue, but I've had relay issues on other bikes and, like a bulb failure, there is some tell-tale sign of either very rapid flashing or no flashing at all. I assumed if it was a loose connector I'd see some change in blink rate as well.

Any thoughts? I'm tempted to buy a indicator & replace the whole thing & bank the bulb as a spare.

Thanks in advance.

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I assume all wires are connected and clean so what about swapping the wires so the right front and left rear flash, you’ve already tried proved the bulb but you may have a problem with the actual indicator unit, broken internally somehow?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. deaks25

deaks25 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    I'll admit, I'm not entirely sure when it stopped working, my pre-ride checks of that kind of thing are a little more infrequent than they should be.

Where is the connector buried? If it's easy to get to then I don't mind doing a bit more trouble shooting, but to be honest, I hate dealing with electrical gremlins (And I've had to deal with more than a few roaming around my Sprint) so I'm kind of tempted to replace the whole unit outright, save any faffing around.

4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You wouldn’t necessarily see much difference in flash rate.

The bulb has only two wires feeding it. Provided the bulb holder is corrosion free I would rig a separate earth wire to verify which side the problem lies. If it it starts working you know the Earth is the problem!

If you have a circuit tester (battery/bulb or a multimeter) I would be doing a continuity check from flasher unit to the bulb.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1