Squeaky Brakes on Brand-New Bike

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by DANSOME, Dec 6, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    #1 DANSOME, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Hiya guys!
    About two weeks ago I took delivery of my brand new 2016 Speed Triple R and unfortunately at the end of my second ride my rear brake started producing a low-pitch squeak under hard braking. I have since noticed that it only makes the noise when reaching a full stop and only when the brakes are already a bit warm (after 30min or so of twisties).
    When I took the bike to the dealer for its first service I reported the issue. They checked the rear brake and took the bike out for a spin but didn't notice anything unusual. They replied that some bikes develop a "characteristic" squeak and other don't but they hoped that with time it would sort itself out.
    After leaving the dealer I had a small hope that somehow something they did would have miraculously fixed the noise. Unfortunately it's still there.
    Have any of you guys experienced anything like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Stop using the back brake to stop it flipping when doing high speed wheelies :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Er, he's on about the rear brake dude, and it's not a floating disc:rolleyes:
    I'd take it back and ask them to clean the brake thoroughly, perhaps a spot of coppaslip on the back of the pads??

• Like Like x 2
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Pull the pads and add a dash of coppa slip on the back where they touch the piston and caliper.

Or get some old engine oil and paint the disc with it. It won't squeak then!!!;):)

It won't stop you either, but at least it will be quiet!!! :D:D:D

• Like Like x 2
  5. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I would take it straight back to the dealer and ask for a courtesy bike while they sort it.
    I would imagine coppa-grease would cure it but you shouldn't have to do that on a brand new bike.
    Make the buggers earn their brass.

• Like Like x 3
  6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I'm with mickeng on this. Why should you be righting stuff on a new bike when it shouldnr be there in the first place

• Like Like x 1
  7. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    #7 DANSOME, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Thanks guys,
    I'm still waiting on a quickshifter to arrive at the dealer which was offered as part of the purchase deal. It should arrive by this week and I will bring this issue up again when I go there to get the quickshifter fitted. I will suggest a thorough cleaning of the brakes.
    Anyhow, I'll keep this thread updated.

Ride safe!

• Like Like x 1
  8. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    UPDATE:
    Ok, so last Friday morning I took the bike back to the dealer armed with a video I recorded capturing the squeaking noise from the rear brake. As I was about to leave my house I noticed that the brake light was on. I pulled the rear brake pedal slightly upwards and it stopped. Then I pressed it again to see if it got stuck down again and it did. When I arrived at the dealer I immediately told them about this.

Today I got the bike back. It turns out that the squeaking sound was due to glazed brake pads. It could have been due to the dragging brake and/or some moisture getting caught between the rotor and the pads. Their course of action was simply to remove the surface of the pad that was glazed and adjust the rear brake pedal so that it wouldn't drag anymore.

It almost doesn't squeak now. I thought of taking it straight back to the dealer so they would remove a bit more of the pad but decided to give it a few days and see if the noise dies-off. I have since found an article online that states: "glazed brake pads can be addressed by driving a short distance (1/10th or 2/10th of a mile) at normal speeds with your foot lightly on the brake pedal". Instead of this I will just ride normally and wait for that layer of the pads to get worn out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Great news, shame they did not check it out in the first visit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. its me

its me Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2015
    leeds
    I've had it when running a new bike in.
    Usually amounts to no need for heavy breaking.Try being a little firmer on the brakes and try not to sit too long with the pads on the discs. Helps mine after Ive de-glazed the pads.

11. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Actually, what's more of an issue here is the fact that the brake pedal is sticking on a brand new bike FFS! I hope they've made a proper, permanent repair here, the last thing you need is to be riding along blissfully unaware that the brake is binding and getting hot cos it'll get to a point where the brake will lock and likely throw you off. I know, it almost happened to me when I incorrectly adjusted the back brake pedal on a Z650 and was very fortunate that I was able to stop from a low speed after I realised what was going on.

• Like Like x 2
  12. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    Your post has got me thinking. Next time I ride I will avoid using the rear brake and check if it warms up. They may have fixed the brake pedal so that the light doesn't come on but that doesn't necessarily mean that the brake pads aren't rubbing against the rotor.

• Like Like x 2