'squeak'/rubbing Noise On Front Wheel

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Murray, Aug 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Murray

Murray New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    London
    Hi all!

I'm relatively new to biking having just passed A license after a few years break! I've recently bought a new Thruxton R, and only done approx 10 miles, however there appears to be a high frequency 'squeak' emitting from the front wheel at low speeds (between 10-20) mph. As soon as I touch the front brake, this seems to disappear.

Frustrating due to the age of the bike! Is there something rubbing on the caliper?

Any advice very welcomed!

2. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    With 10 miles on the clock, I'd take it straight back to the dealers.
    It is only brake squeal.... nothing to worry about.
    BUT....... you probably paid for a PDI (pre delivery inspection), and the backs of the pads should have had some copper-slip applied to them when the PDI was done.
    Sloppy dealership, take it back and get it done!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Sounds like brake squeal - not a problem but dealer should have sorted it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    If nothing is loose probably just needs some use bring her round and I'll run her in for you:p

• Like Like x 2
  5. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Maybe you need to bed the brakes in a bit. Try a firm application from speed a few times and see if it stops it by wearing off any high spots.. If you are a novice, you may be braking very gently ....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Murray

Murray New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    London
    Thanks very much all - will have to go faster and brake from speed!

If it persists, a visit to the dealer will be the next step...

In terms of warranty, do I need to take this back to the same dealer, or can I bring it in to any authorised Triumph dealership?

7. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Hi, good plan ! You should be able to go to any dealer. However, the suppling dealer MAY be more helpful as they got your money ! Enjoy riding !

• Like Like x 1
  8. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Any "trump STEALERSHIP" :p

• Like Like x 1
  9. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    Hi OP,

Maybe I mIsunderstood, but from your original post it sounds like you were NOT pulling on the front brake lever when you heard the problem at low speeds, and the noise actually goes away when you apply the front brakes? Can you clarify?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Murray

Murray New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    London
    Yes correct, squeak persists whilst NOT braking at those speeds... when I touch the front brake, noise disappears...

11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Brakes as friction devices transfer energy - they do not ‘lose’ it. Mostly they generate heat (and light if you get them hot enough) plus vibration and its close relative noise. New discs and pads will have a bit more dust and vibration which grease and shims (where used) damp sufficiently to quell noise. They polish up in use and will corrode lightly when sitting. I suspect you merely have light dusting creating vibration that will dissipate with use. You can barely have braked in anger yet!
    Frankly I would not worry but have them checked at 1st Service.

• Agree Agree x 2