Spt-rs Funny Noises (do You Also Hear?)

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Snusmumrik, Oct 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Snusmumrik

Snusmumrik Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    Hi, all

So, I am enjoying my new Speed Triple RS.

It is now in running-in mode, meaning no full throttle openings, rpms basically below 6000 and I ride my local hairpins and smaller roads, mostly in 2 and 3rd gear, sometimes 4th, the speeds are 50-80kmh.

Engine runs smooth, but I am wondering about the gearbox.

It changes crisp though sometimes with clunks, and qs/b work fine, though on highway it did not want to shift from 5th to 6th once (with quickshifter) and sometimes blipping from 3rd to 2nd is pretty abrupt.

1. What I noticed is after about 30km I start hearing ticking noise when I am moving, that comes from gearbox.

2. Also, when I ride, say, 3rd gear at about 3000rpm I have this feeling through the pegs that gearbox is not tight, like something is loose in there and I get these little knocks through the pegs and handlebar.

Of course, it could be that it is not gearbox but maybe front sprocket that is loose. When the rpms increase the knocking goes away, like the whole thing "tightens up".

Do you have these "problems" on your Speed Triples (RS)?

2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    If you are not sure, ask the dealer to take a quick trip on it?
    This'll then be on record but gearboxes do loosen up over time and perform better.
    As for the front sprocket, it's only a few 8mm bolts and you can have a quick look yourself to ease your mind?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Snusmumrik

Snusmumrik Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    #3 Snusmumrik, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    I will.
    First thing - I write to my dealer to have these concerns on record.

• Agree Agree x 1