Sprint Sprint ST1050 should I shouldn't i?

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Big Dave, Sep 15, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Nov 15, 2013
    North Yorkshire
    Yo sprinters!

I have a conundrum, I have a 61 plate speedmaster which I love! My lass bought me it when she was going through some major health issues and I think it's an awesome bike!

But..........

I'm in love with another! Sentimentality aside I've seen a 2007 Sprint ST 1050 with 24000 miles on the clock but immaculate! I yearn for a bit more speed and better handling and the ability to carry more than just a toothbrush!

What would you do? Is 24000 miles a lot for a bike like this? Is this bike suitable for a recently qualified biker who has only ever ridden a speedmaster?

Help!!!!!'

2. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    I had an 06 from new for six years and loved it.

It is totally different from a twin, in every department.

Handling is precise and very easy to lean so far you can drag the pegs, comfort is good, hours in the saddle with no problems, best of all the best engine Triumph produces. I have cruised her at 130+ in Germany, at 70 she is ticking over. The torque curve is fantastic, twist and go at any speed. Economy overall nearly 60mpg. Docile if you have a light touch and are gentle with the throttle, very rarely do you ever need full throttle, it is so responsive.

The faring gives good protection but the screen matters, you get windblast from the low screen but the touring screen is great and makes for a quieter ride as the wind is thrown over the helmet

Bad point, heat from nearside due to a poor fit heat shield but this is only an issue on very hot days. Some riders report having numb right hand after long rides, slight forward lean puts weight on forearms, biker fitness soon builds up until it is not a problem.

For a newby moving up a bike it is a good choice but you will find that the weight is higher, but you soon get used to it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Nov 15, 2013
    North Yorkshire
    I think I might need to book a test drive!!

4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    everyone I know who has the ST loves it, they all seem to say why dont triumph make them any more coz they are better than anything made now

5. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    The ST's are a great all round bike and are very under rated they have a good engine very easy to ride and live with as though it is quick enough you will not find it to daunting or intimidating as the engine is so linear.

As long as the service history is good it will a very good all in one bike. (apart from off roading of course) :biggrin:

6. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    Come on big guy what has happened?