Sprint Sprint St Headlights

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Fourbears, Oct 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    This week its been dark as I leave for work which has highlighted the fact that the headlights on my Sprint ST are, well, frankly as good as candles! So I got myself some Osram Nightbreakers and went to fit them. Now I can reach the bulbs without removing the fairing but I cannot seem to release the retaining wires as they are close to/foul on the housing. Has anyone got any ideas/tips on how to get them out? It seems a big design flaw to have to remove the nosecone and headlamp unit just to change the bulbs! I can't seem to find anything on this subject!

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Which Sprint have you got. I had the 955i and never had a problem changing my bulbs from behind.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

3. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Gen 1. It seems daft to have to take the headlamp unit out as if you only had the factory standard one light then you would need a breakdown recovery if it failed after dark! The retaining wire may be bent I suppose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  5. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Well I have just come back from a day ride, the last hour and a half in failing light and darkness. I found that if I was on a country road with no other vehicles behind then its dangerous as the light output is feeble despite upgraded bulbs! Quite how Triumph was allowed to sell bikes with such poor lighting is beyond me and I have both lamps working. My bike has covered 113k so I am thinking that my headlamp unit may be beyond its best as the light is quite yellow which may indicate the reflectors are also shot. I think I'll look to get another unit then maybe upgrade the bulbs again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Yes I agree the lights are very poor, any improvement would be welcome, please keep us informed.

7. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Well I did a bit of research today about improving the headlamps. It seems that it may be as simple as Triumph fitting small gauge cable which increases resistance and decreases voltage! So I am going to start with making sure connections are clean etc then maybe upgrade the supply cabling to a larger gauge as well as checking that the lights are aligned properly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rocket

Rocket Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Connecticut
    not a reflector but a projector type housing........me thinks...It makes a difference

9. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    No definitely reflector lamps!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rocket

Rocket Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Connecticut
  11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    No they won't fit - mine's a 1999 Sprint and uses H4 bulbs.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Rocket

Rocket Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Connecticut
  14. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Well I took the nose cone off to check the voltages and found that both headlamp relays were missing (see pics) and someone had bridged the supply wires with a small wire. I found an old relay plugged it in and I suddenly got 12 volts at the headlamp plugs! So off to get two relays!

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rocket

Rocket Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Connecticut
    thats cool fourbears, I'm Glad it worked out......I lik the term nosecone as well....not ''cockpit''

16. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I agree that word is only acceptable in the following context;

She was only a pilots daughter, but she kept her cockpit clean ... boom boom .... I'll get my coat!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Not quite the end yet! I plugged in both relays and...... only the right hand dipped/high beam worked. I know you can get both to work so must be some more wiring to be done I think. I'm sure google will come up trumps!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    #18 Oldyam, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Have you found a Manual yet ? if not this may explain a lot

http://www.nirvana-motorcycles.com/Triumph Sprint ST RS 955 Service Manual 1999.pdf

I would suggest you print out the relevant pages and check againt the bike to determine the correct info for yours

Check out section 16 pages 20 & 21 it appears that one headlamp is operated direct off the switch and the two relays are a high and low for the other headlamp on the 1999 model, are you sure yours is a 1999 model ? not a 2000 model built in 1999 as the wiring is different as are the relay designations.

Edit : -

On the 1999 sprint theres a 2nd Fuse involved which cuts out the power for high low relays for the second headlight Fuse No.1 ( checking between legend & diagram is awkward sorry )

19. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Oldyam its definitely a 99 as it was registered in April 1999 so was probably built the back end of 98. I think its going to be a cable break but finding it is going to be a pig. I did check the fuses and one of them for the dipped beam had obviously been a bit warm as it had melted the plastic a bit. Probably because of the bodge I found. No power to left headlamp but power from the relay (both).

20. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    According to triumphs manual there is no seperate fuse for high / low, power is fed through fuses 6 & 9 in series to feed the high low relays and fuse 2 feeds the lighting switches and the relay coils via the switches.

If neither relay switches check the earth / frame connections from the relay connections as this is a common type of fault.

Do you have the manual to look at as its fairly simple to see how its set up