sprint sport carb settings

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bogg, Aug 22, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    can any one help me with jet sizes/needle settings etc,I want to run short reverse cone megas and k&n filters I've found a web site for Keihin carb jets that run at about £3 each but need a bit of advice as to sizes/needle height etc.thanks in advance

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    If it's any help, my Trident 900 has a K&N air filter and has been run on a pair of louder after market silencers for many years with no need to mess around with the jetting. Currently back on original silencers (coz I could!) and still no need to faff about.
    See how it goes and check the colour of the plugs for a while after any changes. I'm sure mine runs a wee bit rich anyway, so you may have some leeway like I seemed to.

3. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Thanks Steve I might just try that and see how it goes

4. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Good man ... keep it simple.:):cool:

5. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    simple it might not be ..their cone filters :):)

6. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Ah ..... that will tax your imagination!:confused: Just make sure that you have all four - the fourth one is a small version to go on the crankcase breather pipe.
    Many people have trouble with that set-up, apparently. I have no personal experience of going down that particular route, but others may have done so and could possibly advise you. It may even work straight from the box!:)
    We do need to know though.:)

7. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    well I,ve tried for a bit of tech help from Allens performance and they wrote back and said put the air box back on :rolleyes:
    I was down the pub talking to an old mate about this really useful bit of tech support and he promptly informed me that he has a Triumph triple at home with the same cone filters and it runs a treat, once I get mine up and running if it's not right he's offered to strip his carbs and check jet sizes and needle position etc.:):) Triumph riders are top aren't they!
    I will keep you all posted on the out come:) oh yes and Steve the breather filter will be on it:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Nice one!:)
    As I said (sort of!), sometimes the individual filters work well, sometimes they don't.:confused: At least you have got some help forthcoming if needed.:):)

9. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    From what I have seen in many forums, for every one who gets the bike running properly with cone filters there are loads more who do not,especially it seems with Triumphs. The airbox, tho bloody awkward is a very efficient one. Good luck with it

10. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    well I,ve been on the Triumph RAT site and found a thread on carb settings,it looks like most go for 150 main jets/40 pilots some put a spacer on the needle some not,I can get all this on ebay for about £30 or I could use another firm on ebay that will supply the kit for my settings for around £60,I'm working on a budget so I think I'll be doing the washing up & hoovering for a bit and put that on my xmas list...if they end up under the tree I'll post the sizes;)

11. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi bogg, I ran my 94 trident with K & N filter and moded the std mufflers, also ran open 3 into 1 system, didn't change the jets I just put shims on the needles, lifted them about 20 thou or so, I also drilled out the vacuum ports a couple of number drill sizes bigger! Made the vacuum slides/pistons respond quicker, made a big difference to the motor responses, could lift the front @ will in first three gears ! I did 100,000 miles on that bike !

12. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Hi capt,was that a k&n in the standard box or cone filters??

13. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    K&N in std box