Sprint Sprint Rs Tanks.

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Mark Balmer, Jul 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mark Balmer

Mark Balmer Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Chepstow
    I have just bought a 2003 Sprint RS with less than 9000 miles that is in great condition :). I am planning to give it a full service but have read that the fuel tanks can expand when removed. Is this a common UK problem or mainly the USA.

If it will be a problem is there anything I can do to remediate it?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Mark Balmer

Mark Balmer Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Chepstow
    So it doesn't always happen. Good to know.
    Thanks.

3. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Is this problem more common on the older Generation 1 models? I have seen loads of Gen 1 Sprints with incredible blisters all over them and deformation but I haven't seen a Gen 2 with the same problems. Mine is a 2002 Gen2 model (If your clutch side engine cover is made of several pieces rather than one big cover it's Gen2) and has none of the bubbling or deformation that is often reported. I have another Gen 2 2002 RS being shipped to me soon for spares and I am assured that it's tank is also blister and deformation free.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

I've got to agree, plastic tanks just seem plain wrong on anything except a lawn mower or weed whacker.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Mate & Welcome, mine is a 1999 Gen 1 recently put back on the road after a long period of storage, there was only 1-2 ltrs of fuel in it which had gone off, I had the tank off to get the fuel out & do a service, no signs of blistering & although a little tight, got the tank back on without incident.

• Like Like x 3
  6. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Mines a 2005 1050, blisters all over. Tank might have expanded a little but a great big screwdriver to lever it into place seems to work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

So the problem isn't restricted to early models then. From what I have read it is due to ethanol in the fuel. Does anyone know whether this petrol/ethanol mix is universal across all petrol suppliers or are there some brands that are worse than others?

8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Premium fuel seems the only answer once the tank has long term dried out. Buy a second tank thats been on a shelf for min six months as thats how long it takes to self heal. The paint though will never be right even after that time and will need a repaint. You can 'liner' the tank but over the PA6 plastic it takes some knowledge.

• Like Like x 3
  9. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Thanks for that information. I have a donor bike coming that is going to turn my Sprint RS banana yellow and, once I've done that I plan to renovate the original bodywork and maybe do a fancy paintjob or wrap on it. Even though my current tank shows no sign of blistering apart from the Triumph decal on one side having a very slight blister I would rather be safe than sorry.

• Like Like x 2
  10. swampy61

swampy61 Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Shropshire
    Mine is 03 and has a lot of blisters and this year has become difficult to to refit. Never has before but a small dollop of brute force sorted that issue.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ChrisJHuff

ChrisJHuff Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    County Durham
    Nylon tanks are a right bastard is the answer...or rather the ethanol in the petrol is... I have 2 tanks.. one looking completely bee stung with blisters but covered with a baglux... the other pristine.... I swap them over when the tank comes off so the spare has time to dry out and shrink back to size for the next time to put it on....have the grotty tank on now for the winter

• Like Like x 2
  12. SgtSunshine

SgtSunshine New Member

Oct 3, 2020
    Milton Keynes
    I wonder if this helps:
    http://deformedfueltanks.com/
    It focuses on the problems with Ducati tanks but also mentions t hat Triumph also suffers from this. The consensus seems to be that fuel with ethanol is the culprit and it is the manufacturer who i responsible for fixing it.