Sprint Gt Vs St

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Stimple, Feb 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stimple

Stimple Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Hi All, I went to Stratford Triumph today to ask them about the possibility of purchasing a 2nd hand Sprint.
    What should I look out for and which of the post 06 versions would you recomend?

2. Pete Farrell

Pete Farrell Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Lancashire
    955I the best triple ever for comfort the ST if you are flexible RS.

3. Stimple

Stimple Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Prefer it in blue.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stimple

Stimple Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Thanks. I had an RS before someone jumped out infront of me and it ended up slattered all over the road. I'm looking for something to go touring accross France on, so want something with fixed paniers.

5. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Maroon 2010 ST ABS, 10k miles on the clock, ready to take away from my place, comes with a complimentary red 1999 ST, 32k on the clock. All reasonable offers considered ;)

6. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    A black pudding supper ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Gt has longer wheel base and slightly heavier Eats miles, 7 hour days, no problem, seat is the best (ever), slighty softer gearing. Great handling 1050 engine so sorted great brakes ( I find the ABS intrusive, what can you do).
    From what Ive read the ST is sportier, not by much.
    If these are were you are at then go for the GT, comfort and handling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stimple

Stimple Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Sounds as if there is a bit of a compromise between comfort and handling. I guess it just comes down to availability and cost.
    Still want one in blue though.

9. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    The GT is more set up for touring. The GT SE comes with all you need to tour with yet makes a good day to day bike as well
    Performance wise stills remains quite nippy with good acceleration and top end. You do need to set up the front and rear shocks to suit you.
    Both are adjustable with the front it’s preload but the rear is reload, damping and rebound.
    When I had mine the only thing I added was a scotoiler.

10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

And its the beautiful one

11. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    If the price is right ;)

12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    You certainly seem to have an unusual modus operandi down there Rich.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #13 Col_C, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Depends on your priorities, if you want comfort and plenty of luggage space then go for the GT, if you want something a bit more Sport then go for the ST. There were a number of minor improvements to the ST around 07/08 so go for one later than that (easy to tell as the tank went from plastic to steel), they also had higher bars, taller screen and I believe the gearbox was tweaked for a smoother change.
    I had an '08 ABS (ABS was an option back then) from new and kept it for 5 years, had a 955 ST previously and the 1050 was much better in every respect (other than pannier capacity) - finish, engine, gearbox and handling were all significantly improved. I prefer the ST for its more sportier character and looks (I don't like the low exhaust of the GT), most of the time I rode solo (wife rides her own bike in the UK) and left the panniers and top box off which made it look and feel relatively sporty. But the factory panniers and top box went on for touring Europe with wife as pillion every year, so it's certainly capable of that too. In 5 years I covered about 40,000mls about 15k of that was 2-up touring, and never missed a beat.
    I fitted the TOR exhaust and de-cat link pipe which improves the sound and with the right map gives a smoother throttle response from closed.

Seized rear hub eccentric for chain adjustment, and seized rear suspension linkage are the most common problems to look out for, if buying from a dealer insist these are lubricated before you buy.
    Unfortunately my personal experience of dealer servicing is not good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I beleive the ST exhaust can, can heat, the pillion can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I have borrowed both the ST and GT versions while my bike was being serviced, admittedly quite a while back. I loved the ST - cracking bike. But, when I returned the GT to the dealer I started negotiating to buy one. It was that good (for me anyway). Sadly I had to put the purchase on hold for a few more months during which time I became ill and had to give up the idea. I'd buy a GT tomorrow if I had the money/health/space for it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    The underseat cans on the ST ( can’t remember which year ) were well known for cooking pillions

• Like Like x 1
  17. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Yes linkages need attention.
    Re hub. On the ST the caliper carrier is anodised but on the GT it is painted, but where it fits onto the hub is bare ally. This corrodes and seizes it to the hub stopping chain adjustment. It needs stripping and going around with a file to make it slightly bigger and plenty of grease when rebuilt.
    Any SSSA needs plenty of preventative maintaince.