Sprint 1050 ST 2006 Starting problems after running out of fuel

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by steveledge, Apr 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steveledge

steveledge New Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Skipton, North Yorkshire
    I foolishly ran out of fuel yesterday just 50 yards from the petrol station so I pushed it the rest of the way and filled up, when I tried to start it again I had to turn the ignition off and on again about 30 times before I got it to start again, al was good and I used the bike several times that day without any further problems.
    I awoke this morning at about 8:30am and went out to start my bike and found that I had to turn the ignition off and on again several times before it would start (the bike normally starts first time) I was a little puzzled but went on my way and all seemed well, after arriving at my destination I left the bike in the car park for about an hour and a half and when I returned I had to turn the ignition off and on again several times before it would start. After arriving home and leaving it for 3 hours I went to start it and had the same problem.
    It seems that after I have left it for any length of time I have problems getting it started again, like there is a lack of fuel pressure at the injectors. If I turn it off after I have had it running and start it again immediately it works fine, the problem only occurs when it has been left a while.
    Please can anyone make any suggestions as to what may be causing this?

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    My guess would be that as you have run out of fuel you have caused some damage to the fuel pump which is located inside the tank and which is lubricated by the fuel. It would seem that it is not responding to the demand to pressurise the fuel rail every time you turn the ignition on as though it is sticking and gets free with repeated switching on and off of the ignition. I fear a new pump may be the solution.

• Like Like x 2
  3. steveledge

steveledge New Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Skipton, North Yorkshire
    Ahh, I was wondering where it is located. I shall drain the tank and inspect it. I suspect that you may be right though. Thanks for the info, I will post the results of my findings on here so that it may be of use to others.:):):)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I've only ever seen one in the flesh and that was a Honda one but I suspect they are pretty much the same. I'm not sure you will be able to do much to it in the form of repair but it's worth having a look. Check YouTube, there are vids there showing how to check/repair bike fuel pumps. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  5. steveledge

steveledge New Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Skipton, North Yorkshire
    Update.
    I have been out to the garage and removed the fuel pump assembly from the tank and removed the fuel pump from the assembly unit, tested it and it is working just fine.
    The battery is on charge a the moment and not in the bike so I can't see if it will start at the moment, but as I did't find a problem with the pump I suspect that I have not yet found the problem.:(
    I will give another update tomorrow when the battery is fully charged and back in the bike.

6. steveledge

steveledge New Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Skipton, North Yorkshire
    Ok, so I went out and put the battery back on today and it still won't start. Even though I checked the fuel pump yesterday I was only able to confirm that the motor was spinning, Not that it actually pumps any fluid, so I guess that the impellers could still be damaged. I have ordered a new one it should arrive on Monday. Fingers crossed that will fix the problem. I will let you all know.

7. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I'm confident that the new pump will sort you out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. steveledge

steveledge New Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Skipton, North Yorkshire
    Finally got to the bottom of the problem. I bought a new fuel pump and this did not fix it, I discovered that there was no power going to the pump, this was due to a faulty fuel relay which had dirty contacts inside. After removing it and giving them a clean with some fine sand paper all is now fine.
    Thanks to all who posted in this thread.

• Like Like x 4
  9. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    I have only just seen this and would have suggested relay.
    Its funny how having another problem at the same time throws in a curve ball into the way you investigate a problem.

• Like Like x 3
  10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Glad it's sorted

• Like Like x 2