Spotted While On A Ride Out!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Bad Billy, Oct 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    4599FCD7-EF2D-4248-813C-DF5D7F2B7910.png
    These guys just snap away from a lay-by etc hoping to sell a few pictures. Was out on Sunday on the A339 between Basingstoke & Alton & saw the signs up so had a look & yep they got me, still at least not a speed camera this time!

• Like Like x 16
  2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    While I think about it, a little further along the way we were heading to Loomies on the A32, some spanner coming the other way on a Green Kawasaki sports bike had run out of talent coming the other way & came onto our side of the road as we approached a very fast right hander for us (left for him), luckily we were riding sensible & all managed to miss him! He was riding in a group & was clearly out of his depth :eek::dizzy::scream: could have ended us a bike on bike head on crash, why do people ride quicker their talent? :mad:

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 3
  3. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Great picture billy. You are a star at last you knew fame was coming surely. And yes you get a group of less talented bikers out there they all got to out do each other like they get medals for it.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    What you say is right mate, I think racing has calmed my road riding down, which is a good thing, but don’t want to be involved in someone else’s accident either.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I am not a killjoy but get some training if you want to be safe on the road. Better still if you want to ride really fast go & do a track day, at least when you run out of talent there nothing is coming the other way!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Streetgirl675

Streetgirl675 ...otherwise known as Streetgirl765

Dec 19, 2019
    Cheshire
    Agree with you Dozers dad. So many out there that are so worried about not keeping up with their mates. While I was still new to riding and pretty slow and overly cautious, I assumed all other riders were great and so much better than me. It is only now that I am more experienced and able to ride with the guys that I see this machismo all the time. What is it with you men ;)? I don’t ride in groups anymore for just that reason - seen so many near misses due to trying to outdo each other. Prefer to just ride with my hubby. We do ride quick, but each of us only ever rides to our own ability.o_O If one of us is more into it than the other, we just meet up later. I would hate to have to prove myself all the time. Defo prefer to just enjoy the ride and get their when I get there:cool:

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Streetgirl675

Dec 19, 2019
    Cheshire
    @Bad Billy - i did a course with i2i motorcycle academy. I would recommend it to anyone. It totally and utterly transformed my riding ability and enjoyment. For some courses you use your own bike, for others you use his and its a Triumph Street Triple :rolleyes:
    Haven’t tried a track day yet, but toying with it. Just terrified of destroying my bike :D:joy::joy:

• Like Like x 5
  8. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I think you'll find that's called 'riding on your own'', DD. ;):D

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I was looking at i2i recently. It looks good. Something for next year, perhaps. Along with the wheelie school. :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. Streetgirl675

Dec 19, 2019
    Cheshire
    I did MC1 and The knee down course. Although I didn’t quite get my knee down :no_mouth:
    E0C766F9-0BD7-4EFF-A256-2341C18B6D2D.jpeg
    i did learn a lot about control and was able to do 8 or 9 circles in a row without hands
    AAAACDE3-766F-4567-B0B0-1141CB1D3F82.jpeg
    The MC1 course teaches all about the stability of the bike, effective braking using only front brakes and coming to full controlled stop within 5 metres from Different speeds, positive counter steering and cornering. He explains the science behind everything, then shows you and then you do it. I am going to go again next year and do machine control 2.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Love You Love You x 2
  11. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I'd defintiely like to have a go at MC1 and then go back for more, as you are.

I'd say that's some good lean you have there. Not far off the deck at all! :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Now that's what I call planning ahead. :D I do my best to push my limits occasionally but not ignore them.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Training is always worth while, even when you think you are there with your riding, take any opportunity to refresh your skills.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Streetgirl675

Dec 19, 2019
    Cheshire
    0BFF526B-AE05-4304-A0FC-11B5D3FBF489.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 10
  15. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

You know I have never deliberately had the knee down deliberately in a 'racing' sense. I have touched a knee down twice in my life. Once was when I was rather 'exuberant' in my youth and demonstrated how you can hang yourself off the side of a motorcycle while keeping it upright and going straight if you balance everything out just right (I actually managed not to fall off though I have no idea how) and the other was for a fleeting instant as the rear wheel slid away and I smacked my left knee(and shoulder) off the ground before highsiding off the opposite side of the bike. I don't try to race because I am and always have been too bloody big to even try to pretend to be a racer, and could never afford the super duper all singing all dancing rocket with the sticky tyres that wear out in less than two thousand miles not to mention the fact that I have never had any desire to compete with anyone in anything. The only person I challenge and judge every day is myself and one of these days I will be satisfied with my performance at something.

I will say though that, if someone wants to give me a top Superbike and maybe a spare or two to play with and an empty race track (with Medics standing by) I will be happy to push it to the very edge and beyond just for the sheer joy of it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Steve 998cc

Steve 998cc Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    leicestershire
    The only thing that slowed me down was my first off when I turned 60 found I didn't bounce any more just went thud when I hit the road and had bruises where I didn't know I had places. No never had any training of any sort other than to get my bike instructer qualification in the 1990's

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    That sounds like a great course & as you said earlier your skills & confidence have improved as a result.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    I used to do it all the time on my NC30, that's why it had to go! That thing was going to lose me my licence.
    I had to choose something that I simply couldn't ride like that. It was a toss-up between a much bigger bike or going the classic/vintage bike route. I chose the T595 because:
    A: It's far too chunky for me to be throwing it around,
    B: It's a Triumph, and
    C: It's bloody beautiful !

• Like Like x 6
  19. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I believe Sussex Constabulary offer a very similar service.

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    #20 Bad Billy, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    I have been riding motorcycles on & off road since the age of 11, at 16 I got a moped, at 17 a 125, quickly followed by a 250 which could be ridden on L plates then, after 6 weeks I crashed the 250 & totaled it. Got another 250 which I crashed twice but not too badly damaged. :eek:
    I then went & did the RAC/ACU bike training as I clearly needed help, this was run mainly by Police motorcyclists, the course taught me a lot, when it finished one of the Police instructors told me I was one of the most improved riders he had seen come through. He convinced me to go on the instructors course, more because it was fun getting to ride quick with instructors on marked Police bikes than any aspirations of actually wanting to instruct anyone afterwards. I did my bike test while still doing the course & passed, so finished the training on a CX500 which was a bit more fun than the GT250 I had been riding. By the age of 19 I was riding a Z1000, which in these days would be like a 19 year old riding a RI, wouldn't happen right? ;)
    The training helped me stay alive for those heady days of big power/crap chassis & tyres until I retired from road riding at the grand old age of 21 to race Moto-X. :scream:
    The racing off road also taught me so much about bike control, I crashed loads whilst learning where the limits were but ultimately it made me a better rider.
    Retired from Moto-X at 30 & returned to road riding a couple of years later, had loads of different bikes over the following years, did a lot of track days & generally got quick within my pier group. But on the road I had a few spills, some my fault some not, so went & did a Roadsafe course to try & get back to basics & keep safe, this seemed to work until 2018 when I had another crash on the road, wrote off my KTM RC8 after losing it on someones spilled diesel coming off a roundabout, I was very lucky to come away relatively unscathed.
    I had time to reflect & decided that as I like to ride fast, & clearly the road is not the place to do this, then I would give up road riding & go club racing at the age of 57 :). This has been a very steep learning curve as you think you are fast in your pier group, then you go on a race track with seasoned racers ... very close riding at very high speeds soon heightens your appreciation of where you are in the pecking order! :dizzy:
    I do now have another road bike but feel that I get the adrenaline rush on track & am now much steadier on the road, I actually try & do rides using the brakes as little as possible, instead concentrate on reading the road & being in the right gear to use engine braking, it all makes for a more relaxing ride whilst still making progress. :cool:

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1