sports tourer tyre for 09 speed triple?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Cartman74, Sep 7, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cartman74

Cartman74 New Member

Sep 7, 2015
    northampton
    Hi all.
    Am newbie here.
    Riding about 12 years.
    Have 09 speed triple, with suspension tuned to soft.
    Love open smooth flowing bends.
    Hate bumps and closed hair pins.
    OEM tyres got me to Scotty land and back in torrential rain. Loves the dry.
    So what next? Used to do a few miles 2up, but wife has sprog and now off road.
    So what tyre for quick road riding? 1/4 inch chicken strick in dry on OE
    Am obviously no riding god, but pain in ass to loose on real roads.
    Any suggestions gratefully received.

2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    #2 Red Thunder, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    (2010 speed triple)

I have been using Metzeler M5 for the last 6 months, got 7k miles on the rear before a puncture and 1.5mm remaining required a replacement.
    I have now put on the Metzeler Z8 which is a touring orientated tyre with a harder compound centre and softer compound sides, the binding is also structured for stability and grip depending on the lean angle.

The M5 is a softer more sporty tyre, the Z8 is more longer distance touring type.

The front tyre still has lots of grip on it and not needing a change yet. Very good at stopping and plenty of feedback on the bends.

Deals for pairs of tyres can be found on ebay, I got some manufactured in 2011 that in new condition for £150 delivered.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cartman74

Cartman74 New Member

Sep 7, 2015
    northampton
    Cheers for that. Very helpful

4. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I'm on my second set of Pilot Road 4,s found them very good in th wet. Getting over 7,000 from the rears.

5. Cartman74

Cartman74 New Member

Sep 7, 2015
    northampton
    Thanks for that. From what I've read I think I'm going down the road pilot route.

6. Johnny

Johnny Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Ireland
    as a recent convert to the pilot road 4's they are very impressive, haven't done huge milage on them yet but they are impressive,

• Like Like x 1
  7. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Essex
    +1 for the Pilot road 4's (Im currently on the GT's)

• Like Like x 1
  8. lucas60

lucas60 Active Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Eat Ayrshire Scotland
    Well guys I am a newbie here, but have been riding for a very long time. I haved Pilot Road 4s on my VFR1200 and find them faultless in the wet and quite good in the dry with good wear rate so far. However I do find the ride quite firm with very little feed back, so dont feel that they inspire confidence when pushing on a bit. In contrast on my Ducati Monster and Yamaha Mt09 I had Metzeler z8 interacts fitted which I also have on my speed t and cant rate them high enough. Good wear rate,comfortable ride and great stabilty wet or dry. Definitely my choice but I believe a replacement which should be even better is waiting in the wings. To be released early 2016 I believe. Only my twopence worth. Regards John

9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Went off PR's when I destroyed a PR3 in 2500 on the back of my SV. Don't like the squishy moving around feel either. I don't know many who dislike the PR3's but I disliked so much I wouldn't spend my hard earned on them again.

I loved the Pilot Powers, awesome tyre in the dry and not too bad in the wet, Much better than the PR's on the twisty bits and track days. Only down side was the relatively low mileage compared to the Pirelli I favoured.

My favourite sport touring tyre is the Pirelli Angel GT. A very much under rated tyre by all except the motorcycling press, who always sing it praise. Great in the wet and better in the dry than the PR3's, much more sure footed without those daft wee squishy 'sipes' everywhere.