Sport Vs Sport Touring Tires

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by SteveRS, Apr 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    well, after much research which included online discussions as well as professional and owners reviews, I think I have come to the conclusion (or maybe delusion) that a Sport Touring tire will be slipped onto the shoes of the Speed RS when the Super Corsa’s are toast. I may or may not regret putting them on, but hey their just tires, they will wear out and need replacing. I think you’ll be able to tell from the independent European tire test below which one I think best suits the RS, but all options and input are certainly encouraged. Cheers.

C1915C59-701F-4DFD-8C77-BB80284251AB.png

850061DA-AD57-42A4-BFBB-6FF9D218CBDD.png

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    You will never go back to sport tyres again, even on track days sport touring tyres are more than enough for the majority of riders

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thanks for your input. How did you find the feel or feedback from them?

4. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thanks. same question to you as well, how was the feel?

5. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    #5 Dougie D, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    I have just put on the road 5s after having used 3 sets of Angel GTs on the speed triple they gave me more than enough feel,I've not done a lot of miles on the road 5s the first time i was out on them the roads were damp and the 2nd time my fork seals were leaking so it's difficult to tell if they are as good as the Angel GTs ..I just wanted to try them as they were getting good write ups and i think they will last a bit longer than the GTs which I got pretty good mileage from anyway

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Haha, thank you.

7. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    I’m too paranoid and OCD about things so it’s likely I’ll change my tires regularly anyway. Getting something longer lasting may not yield much benefits. I love the stock tires. Let’s see how many miles they last.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Very true, don’t need tyres like the Supercorsa on a road bike.
    I’ve had lots of sets of angel Gts on various bikes and have always been brilliant, My last bike was a MT10 and I used rosso3 which were brilliant on road, touring and track, have just put a set on today as the Supercorsas were knackered.

3CE307E2-8027-48F5-9E2D-03AF70A4B04C.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    I’ve got Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II fitted to mine and i’m happy with them, though i have had a sheelspin at the top of my road once when the were cold and i gunned it a bit too much!

10. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    I’ve got Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II fitted to mine and I’m happy with them, though i have had a wheelspin at the top of my road once when they were cold and I gunned it a bit too much!

11. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thanks, I appreciate your input.

12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yeah, I’m curious on how long they’ll last as well.

13. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I had a set a Rosso 3’s on my street triple. It was a great tire lots of grip. It lasted about 8k but was flattening out at about 5k I believe. I would like a tire that’s resists flat spotting for a little longer, thus the reason for giving the roads a try.

14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yeah, that could happen to any tire. I’ve heard good things about the roadsmart 3 as well.

15. matt black

matt black New Member

Feb 2, 2019
    halifax
    my vote goes on the new pirelli diablo rosso corsa 2 ive just replaced mine with the same. 6k+ miles no squaring off rode down to the wear bars. grip levels in wet or dry have been confidence inspiring they lacked feel for the last 1k miles but never moved only on polished tarmac which any tyre would. think pirelli have shot themselves in the foot making these. all of the miles have been touring with luggage and they were fitted to my 18 plate speed r which i traded in september last year and then fitted to the rs with 3k miles wear. yep they are that good normally a sport tyre would be showing severe wear. have used all sorts of main brand sport and touring tyres over the years and these are phenomenal. grip wet/dry,mileage, handling characteristics/profile and ride cushioning.give them a try i doubt you will be disappointed. had the speed r new from march 2018 and traded in for the rs end september 2018. great bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Looks like a great tire for sure, but I’m looking for at least double the km’s. I had Corsa’s on my Street but this iteration does look much superior. Also, that’s impressive that it didn’t lose its shape over its life.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cupracing

Cupracing Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Berkshire
    I had Michelin pilot road 4s on my speed triple S when I bought it, I really didn’t like them! Everyone’s different and they may be good in the wet but they gave no feedback at all and didn’t give me confidence. I never changed them out but when I traded for an RS I couldn’t believe how good the supercorsas were. The grip and feedback are phenomenal and they warm up very quickly. However, due to their short lifespan and sketchy wet weather grip, I think I will be looking at something else. Perhaps the metzeler m7rr as they get glowing reviews.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thanks for sharing. That’s what concerns me about sport touring tires. When I hit the twisties I ride fairly aggressively and want feel out of a tire. It appears that the new iteration of ST tires do offer up some feedback and feel, but I guess I’ll never know until I pull the trigger on them.

19. Barryscott

Barryscott Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Tupelo, Ms, USA
    Second set of Michelin Road 5. Had around 4,000 miles on them. Agree with the above post about the 4's . But very happy with grip and mileage out of these. Will continue to replace with the Michelin

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  20. matt black

matt black New Member

Feb 2, 2019
    halifax
    hi steveRS in km's thats 9650+ not bad for a sports tyre. the last sport tourers i used were metzeler roadtec 01,got about 7000 miles on a bmw s1000r touring again. squared and lost outright grip towards the end.11500 kms.good tyres though. i have no experience of michelins as i have never forgiven them for macadams back in the day lol. all tyres are good these days is just personal preference so enjoy and safe riding.