Spongy Brakes

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MTBskier, May 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MTBskier

MTBskier Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    What did I do wrong? Just replaced the stock levers on my Speed Twin with Pazzo shorty levers. Easy enough job, I’ve done levers on other bikes in the past with no issues. After doing these however, the initial pull of my brake lever feels slightly spongy. If I release and pull again it grabs like it should, but the first pull definitely has more travel than before I swapped them. Also, there is an occasional squeal when pulling the brake lever at low speed. Anyone experience anything like this before? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    #2 Notso, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
    I'm no expert, did the changes risk getting air in the hydraulics?

3. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Yes, spongy brake feel usually means air in the system. I would re-bleed the brakes.

4. MTBskier

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    I finally dragged my ass into the dealership to ask, and they said I’ll have to bleed the brakes. I would have never guessed that just simply changing the levers would have introduced air into the system.

5. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Glad you determined the problem. BTW, very cool bike you have.

upload_2019-5-4_8-6-21.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    How on earth could changing the levers introduce air into the brake system?!?
    I’d be checking for a weeping union or caliper seal somewhere

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. MTBskier

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    Why thank you!! Of the bikes I’ve owned over the years, this has been my favorite. Just so much damn fun!!:cool:

8. MTBskier

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    I thought the same thing. Never considered it to even be a possibility. But the techs at my dealer said with this system when you take the pin from the rubber boot and reinstall it, it forces air into the system via the master cylinder. So...it’s bleed time!

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Thought it was strange that changing levers could result in needing a bleed?? :rolleyes:
    I have found taping or strapping the lever closed overnight does wonders to get any small air bubbles out of the system (even after bleeding )

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MTBskier

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    I tried that prior to bleeding, but no success. May do it again after the bleed...

• Like Like x 1
  11. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Ah, that’d explain it then. I’ve never had to remove the plunger when changing levers before.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MTBskier

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    Welp, brakes are bleed and are now rock solid! It was shocking how much air I got out of the system, wouldn’t have thought it possible. So ended up being a bit more work than just swapping levers, but still very much worth it. Shout out to EuroCycle Las Vegas for the help.

B7254E58-6D55-48EF-88FA-168AA38E6A0C.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. MTBskier

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    During...

52A583BD-EA6E-4C10-9A3A-0B86BCC586C7.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    On my Daytona I have found that cleaning the Pistons on the calipers and pushing them right back gets rid of the spongey feeling

• Like Like x 2
  15. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I'm glad to hear you solved that problem. I recently changed the brake fluid on my 06 Scrambler. It made a world of difference, and that nasty looking stuff was probably the original fluid. I also let her sit overnight then the levers taped/tied to help with any remaining air.

• Like Like x 1