Spoke corrosion

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by pasher, Dec 16, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    A couple of weeks younger than mine then.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    They've got to give you a recall, they're worse than mine and my bikes coming up for 5 years

3. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    Hmmm - Have noticed that the rear shocks are rusting now - the top edge of the body where, I presume, the chrome is thinner.

4. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    Good news re the new wheel pasher,:D:D but wtf is that all about rear shocks,:( back to the dealer I guess for a warranty claim. Not good enough for a new bike. I live by the sea and my 63 plate T100 hasn`t got a speck on it and I`m riding most days now. Keep us up to speed with what happens mate.

5. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    #45 old git, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    I chased dealer up about the corrosion issue and no surprise they didn't get back to me. This has been the pattern with Shirlaws in Aberdeen from the moment I gave them my Fireblade 3 months or so before I was due to get the T120. I didn't know when I was getting the bike till the day before I picked it up. I could rabbit on all day about their numerous failings but suffice to say, I'm a lot less than happy.

I also contacted Triumph through their website and their reply was that they would consider revisiting the warranty claim but required more photos. This was not the flat refusal that the dealer informed me of. I couldn't really get any better quality photos. They also asked that I try cleaning the rust off. I used a soft toothbrush and WD40 and most of the rust did come off, much like I would have expected. I cleaned up the wheel and applied ACF50 to all the spokes, nipples and spoke recesses in the wheel.

I just can't be arsed with this dealer/warranty crap any longer. Sure I could pursue it legally but even if they do replace the wheel I've little doubt the same problem will reoccur. It is no great problem for me to treat the affected spokes once or twice a year and if it keeps the rust at bay then so be it, but the underlying problem still exists and is unacceptable.

The electroplating/assembly process is clearly flawed. The plating is supposed to prevent corrosion! This isn't new technology, there's clear, well understood and proven processes for chrome plating that other manufacturers have been applying reliably for nearly as long as we've had spoked wheels. The issue with the clocks misting up also highlights that Triumph have done no meaningful testing and that owners are effectively the guinea pigs. This coupled with a dealership who are manned with nice people that unfortunately don't seem able to get anything done has really soured my experience of Triumph ownership.

All this is really unfortunate as I really do like the bike and was genuinely happy that Triumph, as a company were doing well. Whether I keep it remains to be seen. The fact that Triumph don't appear to produce a workshop manual (again dealer never got back to me about this) seems most bizarre. I can only assume that Triumph expect us all to trot along obligingly to dealers for simple maintenance at exorbitant rates. As far as I'm concerned the T120, while doing exactly what is expected in terms of overall performance, is far from what I would have expected in terms of manufacturing quality.

It would seem that a lifetime of scepticism with regard to the Triumph name (whoever owns it) hasn't been without good reason. This is my first ever Triumph and it will most certainly be my last.

6. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    No one can argue that Old Gits problems and responses from Triumph are acceptable. It strange that the most of the others who have had various corrosion problems have got sorted but you haven't surely Triumph can see there's something going on.
    Is there a bad batch out there ? As it happens the last page in Bike is full of praise for the longevity and finish of their long term Thruxton on test being ridden through the winter. Ican only say that I haven't had an issue with this bike or indeed the other 8 Hinckley bikes that me and my lad have had over the years.
    Someone said how much better cars are at resisting corrosion these days but after all most visible parts are covered in high tech paint or plastics and the bits that aren't are either covered in underseal or gently corroding....just look in an engine compartment after a year or so.
    As far as workshop manuals are concerned for all the benefits of electronics and similar technology plus,lets face it increasing regulation the days of full home maintenance are drawing to an end. I suspect (might be wrong) that you would get nowhere asking for one from any large manufacturer car or bike.
    Thank god I've got some 'old' 70s stuff I can still play with

7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi OG, I'm sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your new Triumph. It's very galling when you are excited to buy anything brand new and it turns out to have 'issues'.

Re anti rust treatment have you tried Scottoiler's FS365? It's really good and protects very well.

Re the Triumph Workshop manual - I've no doubt that within the next 6 months there will be one available - HOWEVER if it's like other Triumph workshop manuals it shows how to do lots of stuff via their proprietary diagnostic terminal. There will be work-around available of course, but only in time.

8. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    I've never tried fs365 but have a load of ACF50 that I've had good results with in the past.
    Anyone looking at my bike wouldn't think it was in anything other than showroom condition. I have all but got rid of the visible corrosion and am hopeful that the ACF50 does the trick.
    I really do like the bike and will probably keep it because there's nothing out there that ticks the boxes that the Triumph does.

It's a while since I've bought a split new road bike and I have to say it's not been a particulary pleasant experience. Dealer has talked a good game but I've had to chase them repeatedly to achieve very little. As for Triumph, I think it's a great pity that they won't accept that parts of the T120 are simply not good enough.

Triumph won't be selling any bikes based on my recommendation, that's a certainty.

9. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Washing down my 3 week old Street Cup today after a ride (which I have done religiously so far) and noticed that there seems to be some pitting on the top of one of the rear shocks. Even more surprising after I sprayed them last week with FS365.

Just ordered some ACF50 after seeing The Missenden Flyer eulogising on YouTube. It seems more effective than FS50.

10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Take it back to the shop and point it out to them now.