Speedy Rs - Givi Tanklock Blues

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Alan Gilbert, Apr 18, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I have a Givi Tanklock installed on my Tiger and my S1000RR and simply fix my itsy bitsy 4litre Tankbag to whichever bike I'm riding - I only use a small bag because it doesn't get in the way and is great for sidestank puck, mobile phone, wallet etc and avoids the need to cram stuff in pockets and so . . . of course I was going to buy the fitting kit for the Speedy.
    I order the BF02 fitting kit and then having received it, belatedly realised that I also needed the locking ring which is normally supplied when purchasing a bag. Thankfully, Sporsbikeshop supply this as a spare part and so I ordered from them and it duly arrived two days later.
    The BF02 kits comprises an inner ring which sits on the outer surround of the petrol cap and whose purpose is to interlock with the tanklock ring so as to prevent it from being able to turn. At the same time, an upper plate goes over the top surface of the tanklock ring and is bolted down in four places and so secures the tanklock ring into position.
    Installing the thing is hardly difficult but when I looked closely, I realised the tanklock ring is bolted down and bears directly on the upper surface of the outer ring of the petrol cap. In the case of my Speedy, it would seem the tank is designed such that the petrol cap is a flush fit but there's "flush" and there's "flush". When I checked, in some parts of the circumference of the petrol cap, the cap was proud of the tank by maybe 0.3mm but over a good half of it, the tank is proud of the cap by perhaps the same amount. This meant that bolting down the tankring meant that it was bearing directly onto the painted petrol tank and with four bolts all done up to 4nm . . . with quite some considerable force. Thankfully, the tankring itself is only plastic and when secured in place, there would be no relative movement to cause scratches and damage etc but I didn't feel entirely comfortable with the fit.
    The main reason for using this design is to keep tankbags and kit clear of the tank and prevent scratching . . . .
    Unfortunately, simple spacer washers wouldn't work because of the "tabs" on the tankring but . . . the solution was easy enough - I made up a 1.5mm sheet of carbon and cut out a spacer which was exactly the same shape as the inner ring on it's inside edge but of equal diameter to the tank cap surround on its outer edge. This gets placed directly on the fuel cap surround prior to fixing the tanklock kit and means the tankring now stands a good +/- 1.5mm clear of the surface of my tank. Hardly a major mod but a bit of an oversight on behalf of GIVI and besides, it gave me another excuse to play with making, cutting and sanding carbon fibre components.

IMG_4349.JPG IMG_4350.JPG IMG_4351.JPG IMG_4352.JPG IMG_4353.JPG IMG_4354.JPG IMG_4355.JPG IMG_4356.JPG

• Like Like x 3