Speedometer Legal Requirements

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Duckadiledundee, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:20 AM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Duckadiledundee

Duckadiledundee First Class Member

Jun 24, 2019
    High Peak
    Looking at the legal requirements for a speedometer for a motorbike on Google and it's all a bit here and there with no specific/definitive answers...apart from being a bit sketchy the information seems a bit dated....

So can you legally ride a motorbike without a speedometer....

Will it pass an M.O.T without one....

What about recording mileage on odometer....

As anyone got any real experience with this and proper factual information that is up to date...
    I'm more curious than anything at this point...

Cheers lads and ladies...

2. fzr162

fzr162 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Keighley west yorkSHIRE
    Hi l got a daytime mot for my race bike a couple of years ago. Spoke to the mot tester before. He told me l needed a brake light from both brakes, chain guard, numberplate but no speedometer. Must say it was the worst road bike I've ever had, didn't want to run slow terrible in traffic.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. capt

capt Noble Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    In Australia , if the vehicle was manufactured in the 1930's or earlier when speedometers were optional , no not required , I had a push bike battery powered speedometer on my 1942 M20 BSA 500 , it was more accurate than some modern cars ;) ;) about 3% or so margin of error at speeds under 60 kph and maybe 8-10% from there to 110 kph bike's top speed about 115 kph. The error margin was small as you set speedo by programming the tyre's circumference in !

• Like Like x 1
  5. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Yes to push bike speedo if you can't get wiring sorted, $20 or lesd

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Eldon

Eldon Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    The speedometer is not part of the MOT but will no doubt come under the construction and use regulations so it would be an offence to use without on the public highway.
    @fzr162 I'm pretty sure a chain guard is only a legal requirement when rear passenger pegs are fitted.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. feckless

feckless Senior Member

Apr 16, 2019
    North West UK
    #7 feckless, Oct 14, 2019 at 6:53 AM
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019 at 7:04 AM
    My Harrier needed a speedo, front brake light only (Bike is 72 reg) a reflector on the rear. chain guard not reqd
    I got a sigma MC10 speedo and it is very accurate

Oh and a Horn

• Like Like x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The construction and use regs link is above. The key aspects are:

Construction - the vehicle must be ‘fitted with’ I.e. integral to the bike. The law hasn’t really caught up with GPS and phone holders so ‘fitted for’ is probably non compliant M’lud. Accuracy - now largely based on the EU standard. It must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph. In plain English that means if your true speed is 40mph you could legally be showing up 50.25mph but not less than 40mph. Throw in all the different ways speed is mechanically computed you still have a variable in tyre circumference as they wear...... so most speedos are significantly optimistic whereas a good GPS probably isn’t! And that’s why journeys took longer than you thought they should.......

Use - this all relates to the public highway AND places to which the public have access. Your driveway at Downton Abbey might be OK but Sainsbury’s car park isn’t.

• Like Like x 1
  9. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    • Like Like x 1