Speedometer Cable Rusted In Place?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Fenix, Sep 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fenix

Fenix Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Kuwait
    Speedometer stopped working a couple of weeks ago. I disconnected the cable at the bottom and found that the end of the cable just dropped out into my hand. Good. A broken cable is better than a broken speedometer, right? Ordered a new cable and it came yesterday. I've got Friday off, and this is an easy fix, just unscrew the top and bottom of the old cables and screw in the new one.

Nothing's that easy, is it? When I unscrewed the top, the outer cable dropped right off, but the actual speedo cable won't come out. As you can see in the photo, it is pretty well covered with rust, so I expect it is rusted right in to the speedometer. I've tried pulling it out with a pair of pliers, but no joy. Maybe I need to take off the whole speedo and work from the inside, but I don't know if that is going to help and don't want to do the extra work if it won't. Any ideas?

And yes, I'd rather ride without the speedo, anyway, but here in Kuwait the speed cameras have no heart.

Thanks 20190906_124406.jpg

2. Fenix

Fenix Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Kuwait
    Thanks, Dozers. As soon as I wrote my message, it came to me: I didn't need to take apart the speedo, I could just unscrew the driven housing from it's back. Probably would have been smarter to use the penetrating oil, as well, but I just pulled hard and it popped out. Speedometer is now fixed. Again, thanks.

• Like Like x 4