Speedo Went Crazy

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Steve822, Jun 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve822

Steve822 Member

Jun 30, 2019
    Scottish Highlands
    Had a short term speedo malfunction. For the first time my speedo indicated I was travelling at 110mph. Although chuffed with myself I realised the HGV in front of me must be doing the same speed and my pillion wife wasn't punching my back to slow down (happens any speed north of 65mph). The speedo stuck at 110 then dropped to 80 then 40 when I came to a stand still. On switching off it dropped to 0 and then was fine on starting up, the fault seemed to clear. Is this the start of some electrical bad news? It is a Thunderbird 1600 on a 2012 plate. (Wish I had taken a photo of the speedo to cast before all who say I just bimble along!).

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Bizarre, not heard of that.

But good news! Bike showrooms/workshops are opening up this week! I'd take it to be looked at.

The closest I ever had to that, was on my Speedmaster (also a '12 plate I think), which had a dead - and I mean _totally_ dead battery while I was out and stopped at a service station. I managed to get it started by rolling it down a small hill and bump-starting it. Then on the way back, everything was completely fucky (a technical term). The speedo was mostly not working at all, and was further affected when I used my indicators, or brakes. It made for a scary ride home.

Gotta love British engineering!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steve822

Steve822 Member

Jun 30, 2019
    Scottish Highlands
    Knowing my luck it will be a intermittent fault which doesn't show up if I take her in leading to much stroking of chins. Wondered if it was a known problem and something needing just a sharp tap with a hammer (limits of my mechanical ability).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Steve822
    Wouldn't let it worry you if it has cleared. Probably just a sticky float and now with clean fuel it will free up again.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steve822

Steve822 Member

Jun 30, 2019
    Scottish Highlands
    Cheers for that, you're onto something there. The low fuel light had come on just before the speedo had it's moment and I filled up afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Mucky wheel speed sensor?

7. Steve822

Steve822 Member

Jun 30, 2019
    Scottish Highlands
    Thanks for your reply, will have a look at that.

8. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    This was a problem for some early Thunderbirds.
    Mine(010) went through a phase of doing this on longer runs when the sun shone.
    A number of others had the same.
    The alleged cause is the Speedo needle warping slightly. The cure was to cut a small circle of baco foil or similar and sellotape it over the centre of the Speedo.
    I tried this and never had the problem repeat.
    I took the cover off last year and despite using it to tour to South of France in July the problem hasn't so far returned.
    Make of that what you will.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1