Speedo Busted

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Tom8336, Apr 15, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    Anyone else experienced speedo problems?

Mine decided to go intermittent on the M3 yesterday so I had no idea what speed I was doing for about 70 miles.

2. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Not yet but then again I've only had the bike a few weeks... I hope you get it sorted.

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Is it run by the front wheel or the gearbox?

4. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    Not sure but I think gearbox as the clutch has an effect on it. Spoke to the dealer today and dropping it in on Monday.

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Can't remember Tom what bike/year you have, but if there is a thick cable going to the LHS hub of the front wheel, that will be the speedo drive and the symptoms are like a cable failing.

6. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Yo, if there's no thick cable (my bonnie has), like big lad says it's probably electronic like my HD's, there's a sensor in the gearbox (with a wire attached) held in by simple allen screw. Undo, clean (they work as a proximity sensor and have a very small gap which can get a bit of swarf etc in and affect/stop reading). Wipe clean and bingo. First time I didn't know and renewed whole thing unessessarily. Try and chat to a friendly dealer in future if yer can before booking in and there's plenty help on here as well. (If yer have/borrow a manual that will help keep costs down, good luck Tom).

7. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    Cheers both. It's a 2011 Storm.

I've only had it a couple of months though and I bought it from a main dealer in London so I'm expecting them to rectify it FOC.

I looked for a cable Dave bit couldn't see one so will check out the sensor. Definitely do need to see if I can get a manual for it too.

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    This is where I bought mine from, really pukka workshop manual - the clarity and info are superb.

http://www.service-shop-repair-manual.com/brands/Triumph.html

Came to France in about a week.

Dave

• Like Like x 1