Speedmaster Veterans-rpm

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Captian Nemo, Dec 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Captian Nemo

Captian Nemo New Member

Nov 18, 2018
    Midwest
    Might be a very basic question to most here, but can I ask what RPM's you are shifting your speedmaster? I have a 2012 with tach, but still getting a feel for where I should be shifting. Thanks all from this newbie!

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I never used the tacho on my Speedmaster :confused:
    Too distracting for gear changes :eek:
    Like you said getting a feel for up changes is the way to go :)

3. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Around 4-4500 I think? if not in town or having fun.

4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Short-shifted a lot, use the grunt rather than the rev's.

Oh, and stop looking at your tacho :p

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    yup tacho is way too distracting in that position on tank, do it by feel!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I did try to get one for the America, but couldn't get it to work. Bought a Tuono and never bother to look !!! On the gixxer you would easy hit the rev limit and keeping an eye on revs kinda mattered, but on twins, using the torque is more important.

My Tuono revs up to 14,000 revs, but when I've looked, even 'making progress', I rarely go above 10,000. More about using the torque/shove, than the bhp. Plus the Triumph twin doesn't like revving that hard imho.

7. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I just change gears. Sometimes at high rpms and more often low to medium ! Depends on whether two up,solo or two up and towing !?!? And there's always that tosser in the hotted up 4 or 6 cylinder sport's car who wanted to race ! Especially at an intersection With lights... !
    As to not liking to Rev they handle them with ease I've hit the rev limiter in all gears at Wanneroo race track on a track day outing. Was great to ride at full noise and see what she would do ! 185/190 flat out ! Std engine cc's but dyno tuned to suit pipes and K&N filter etc. 2009 Bonneville America, with about 30,000 on the clock back then.

Cheers capt

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    #8 Tricky-Dicky, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Tacho...whats a tacho......never understood why people ride bikes by the instruments...other than the obligatory glance at the anti speeding fine device.;)

• Like Like x 1