Speedmaster Mystery Switch

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by javamidge, Jul 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. javamidge

javamidge New Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Wiltshire
    #1 javamidge, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    I was fitting a Power Plug to my 2012 Speedmaster yesterday when I found this switch. I have no idea what it is for. I ran the bike with the switch turned both on and off and it made no difference. It has a long activation lever but was just laying in the space under the seat.
    I would be grateful if someone could enlighten me.
    Sorry for duplicate photo but I'm unable to delete it.

IMG_2508 copy.jpg

IMG_2508 copy.jpg

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Not much help I know but check the wiring colours and find a wiring diagram from Haynes of similar to see what the wiring is for.

3. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Alarm switch for the seat would be my guess....

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I've got a speedmaster :) but it doesn't have this switch so I'll hazard a guess it's an add on fitted by a previous owner...sorry but I don't know what it's for :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That's definitely not std.

6. javamidge

javamidge New Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Wiltshire
    Thanks for all your suggestions.
    I have a Datatool alarm fitted so think it most probably is a seat alarm switch.
    I'll have a look tomorrow and try to see if I can find where it should be located.
    It's probably of no use anyway as it appeared to have no effect either switched on or off or even unplugged.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ian T

Ian T New Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Hampshire
    Hi, I found a similar, if not the same switch, once it seemed to have been stuck to the side of the frame top tube. It also did not seem to do anything. Mine was white though, and i could not find any reference to it in my Haynes manual or wiring diagram. An alarm seat swich would make sense. If you put the alarm in winter (service) mode it wouldn't do anything. Mine came lose from the frame and could be why the alarm randomly went off. I shall investigate further next time I have the tank off. Thanks for the info

• Like Like x 1
  8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Definitely agree with tcbandit.
    The micro switch will have been strategically placed under the seat.
    Waste of time looking thriough wiring diagrams because it will have been an add on.

9. Ian T

Ian T New Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Hampshire
    Agreed, its probably an alarm switch. probably for the seat. For some odd reason mine was put under the Tank. Next time I have the tank off i'll have a play.

10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    That was the conclusion in the other thread