Speedmaster Ground Clearance

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Drummer, Mar 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Drummer

Drummer Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Leeds
    Can anyone advise the actual ground clearance on the new 2018 Speedmaster, I.e. the distance from the ground to the underside of the frame. Need to know before a particular type of bike lift.

2. Drummer

Drummer Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Leeds
    Above should read, “before purchasing a particular type of lift”

3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  4. Drummer

Drummer Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Leeds
    Don’t understand your response Sprinter? The only thing I can think of is that Dilligaf has a Speedmaster.??

5. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    That's correct dilligaf has a speedmaster and can answer your question but give it a while, its a weekend and he normally gives some time to Mr Jack Daniels. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Be careful With what lift you buy :(
    The one I got collapsed the first time I went to use it and I nearly dropped my brand new bike off the bench :eek:
    I would recommend a paddock stand instead :)
    It’s very tight underneath the 2018 Speedmaster and I had to take the frame cups off the lift and fix them in place :confused:

7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

This is the offending article :mad:
    It’s a piece of shit and I can’t recommend it at all :(
    The winding nut at the front sheared off just as the back wheel was lifting :eek:
    I got my money back and managed to get it fixed but I still don’t trust it and wouldn’t leave the bike on any more than necessary :(
    It’s :poop: 3FD29AD1-4BDD-4F70-BD05-CB39BDD457BA.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

It was a jungle drum mate

• Like Like x 1
  9. Drummer

Drummer Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Leeds
    Thanks for your comments Dilligaf, I had followed your posts on paddock stands, the difficulty in finding one low enough for the Speedmaster, and your comments on the collapsed lift. My choice is to go for a Strong-arm Lift Jack as made be Quasar Products, sorry I don't have the know how to leave a link on here. If you search in You Tube for Harley Strongarm Lift, you will see a short video on this device. Probably first video you come to. Just need to lift bike enough to clean wheels and chain etc. I was after the ground clearance on the Speedmaster so I could call these people to confirm the jack would go underneath. If you have knowledge of the ground clearance, or can measure form underside of frame to floor, your help would be greatly appreciated.

10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    About 4” judging by the blockwork!

11. Drummer

Drummer Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Leeds
    Many thanks, please explain "blockwork"

12. Drummer

Drummer Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Leeds

13. Drummer

Drummer Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Leeds
    Many thanks, please explain "blockwork" ?

14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Reference dilli’s reply about tight fit and re-affixing frame cups. Compare height of lift with the BLOCKWORK it is sitting on. There is a soldier course (vertical) of kerb blocks which are a standard size of 10 per metre i.e. 10cm each which is approx 4”.........

15. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:) Got my bike strapped to the work bench/lift at the moment so popped back in the garage to measure it for you :)
    And @Callumity is right it’s 4” with the bike held upright :)
    Bear in mind though that with the bike on it’s side stand the left will be lower and the right will be higher :confused:
    Dunno if this will affect you getting your lift underneath or not :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Drummer

Drummer Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Leeds
    Brilliant, thanks for that precise measurement. What do you reckon to the lift jack I described?
    Thanks again from an exiled Geordie.

17. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#17 Cyborgbot, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2019
    If the lift doesn’t fit, you could try digging a shallow hole beneath the bike and pop the jack into that...

Or fill the tyres with helium.

Sorry, I am bored and on morphine. I probably ought to stop adding replies for a while :rolleyes::laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Just had a look on YouTube :)
    Yeah it looks like a good idea :cool:
    If you get one and it works (it should) let us know if you like it and I might get one depending on price :p

19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I put a wood block under the side stand to get the bike upright and my bike lift slides under nicely.......

• Like Like x 1
  20. Drummer

Drummer Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Leeds