Speedmaster front end skittish?

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Dazza215, Sep 16, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dazza215

Dazza215 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    Hi Chaps/Chapesses,
    I have had my bike for a couple of months now and I am really struggling to trust the front end. It feels very slippy even in a straight line. it feels like its jumping an inch either left or right, which really gets the heart going!!!
    It feels like the front tyre is about to slip out from under me which is ruining my confidence in it. Definitly not confident enough to lean into any bend but I find myself slowing right down to take it as upright as possible.
    The tyres are good with loads of tread etc, there doesnt seem to be any play in the head bearings or the spindle.
    Just wondering if this was a trait of these bikes or whether I need to investigate further.
    Any input is greatly received.

2. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Tyre pressures? My america with factory fitted tyres feels fine, but maybe I'm just not trying ;)
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dazza215

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    Pressures are fine Andy, I checked those the first time it happened. Thanks mate.

4. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    OK no worries I just thought I'd mention it, sometimes it's easy to look to deep and miss the obvious. Is there anyone local to you to either try yours or you theirs? Sometimes you can convince yourself of an issue that others done see. At least if another bike feel OK you'd know. Could it be a faulty tyre or out of balance? I'm just plucking ideas out of the air you may have considered and dismissed these.
    Good luck,
    Andy

5. Dazza215

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    Thanks for the suggestion Andy, I didnt think of that. Im at the Distiguished Gentlemans ride next Sunday and we're leaving from Triumph dealership in Birmingham so I might talk someone else into trying it out, and if anyone else has a speedy then maybe swap bikes for a few mins. Thanks again.

6. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Great advice from Andy, that's the only way your going to find out if its just the way you feel or there's
    actually a problem with your bike, My america felt fine to me very grounded,

• Like Like x 1
  7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi Dazza, tyre profile could be the problem but in addition to the above advice, just try squirting an extra few psi into the tyre and see if that helps, also check there isn't a little twist in the forks, could have been caused by someone removing the front wheel or adjusting something on the front end and not retightening the forks in the right sequence.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Another thing to check and could well be overlooked, rear wheel adjustment as that will throw your line of ride out. Either count the markers or run a straight edge with a compensating packer down the sides of the tyres.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Regarding wheel alignment. I've often though (it does happen now and then ) our youngest has one of those laser pen things, if I align the beam to touch both edges of the rear tyres slightly I could then check the front alignment. Does that make any sense?o_O
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
  10. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Makes sense to me should be as good as using a straight edge

11. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

My old Speedie felt it was super glued to the road, never a problem with leaning it in at all. Could be a slight misalignment of rear and front or slightly misaligned forks. What tyre does it have on BTW, I only ask as a mate of mine had a similar problem that was solved be swapping the front tyre, something to do with a mismatch in speed rating I'm led to believe.
    Also, might sound daft but is the tyre on the right way round, (direction of travel arrow pointing the right way)?

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Had a similar problem when I first got my gsxr. Felt like it was going to fall over every time I went into a roundabout.

Simple fix was a new set of tyres. Fresh rubber can make such a difference, especially when you haven't ridden the bike as the tyres went 'off'

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    As above with tyres, the first fazer I had the back tyre had squared off and you seemed to have to pull it over the edge of the flat and balance on a knife edge. New tyres made everything linear and smoother in corners.
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
  14. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I was really surprised how much difference it made to handling by swapping the rear tyre on a cruiser.
    My America feels so much more planted in the corners with a Avon Cobra on the back. Made a he'll of a difference dry and wet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

How many miles are on your present tyres, and how many have you put on them? Did you have the bike / tyres from new, or get it pre-owned?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dazza215

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    There's 13k on the bike and I bought it from the original owner. Ive only put about 200 on it. So I don't know how many miles these tyres have done. I'll probably just change the tyres and get the bike aligned whilst it's in.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dazza215

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    Thanks Andy it sounds similar to what's happening to me.

18. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I don't blame you Jez, I've had a few bikes with Metzeler's as OE tyres and found them all to be uninspiring, particularly in the wet.

19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    is the fork oil the same amount in both, I had a leeking fork seal and no money so I replaced the seals every few weeks and I knew when it needed done cos all the symptoms you described would appear.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

That's cos Metzler have managed to make mahogany look like rubber!!!! :D

If you can afford to replace them, do so. Would be my first option. Can't recommend the Avons's enough.. Such an improvement over the Metzler's.
    If that doesn't work for you, then time to start looking at suspension,

What bike did you ride previously? Might be that cruisers don't feel the same:rolleyes:, took me a few miles to get used to it after riding sports bikes for 5 years.

• Like Like x 2