Speedmaster Engine Cutting Out

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RSSmith54, Sep 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RSSmith54

RSSmith54 New Member

May 24, 2019
    Horley, Surrey, UK
    My 2016 Speedmaster, which I bought in May with under 400 miles on the clock, occasionally cuts out when the engine is hot and I'm approaching a roundabout, junction, etc, pulling the clutch in and closing the throttle. One of those frustrating problems which you can't really demonstrate as you never know when it's going to happen.
    I've added just over 1,000 miles since getting it so the engine is well run in now.
    On the forum I can see this has been a problem with other models and on the internet I can find the same problem on Americas, but not Speedmaster.
    Does anyone know if there has been a fix for the Speedmaster? I'd like to know my facts before going back to the dealer and getting them to sort it under warranty.

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    It’s probably down to the fuel map.
    Modern bikes tend to be mapped a little on the lean side at idle to help with emissions.
    Has your bike got the standard exhaust? If it’s not this can exacerbate the problem without remapping the bike.

3. RSSmith54

RSSmith54 New Member

May 24, 2019
    Horley, Surrey, UK
    Thanks, Freck, the exhaust is standard.

4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I know my bike’s a bit older than yours but I had the same sort of problem.
    I loaded up a map from Tuneecu designed for an Akra can and K&N air filter and it’s made a huge difference, much better bottom end and idle and virtually no stalling at all. :cool:

5. RSSmith54

RSSmith54 New Member

May 24, 2019
    Horley, Surrey, UK
    Way over my head, I'm afraid! Is this something I can put to my dealer when I ask them to fix it? Thanks again.

6. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I doubt your dealer would do anything as they’re unlikely to admit that there’s any problem with the standard fuelling.
    It’d be worth getting them to look over the bike though to see if there’s anything amiss, as it’s under warranty.

7. RSSmith54

RSSmith54 New Member

May 24, 2019
    Horley, Surrey, UK
    Ok, understood, thanks, and will do. I will update the post if I have any feedback once I have talked to them.

• Like Like x 1