Speedmaster Efi Blew Fuse/ Won't Turn Over After Changing Lights

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Alisdair, Apr 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alisdair

Alisdair Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Richmond, London, UK
    Hi all, hoping someone might have an idea as to what's going on here!

I have a 2014 Speedmaster and I am building a new LED rear light/indicator block.

I unplugged the old one (an ugly aftermarket LED thing the previous owner had put on) and connected up the new lot, turned the ignition on, the indicators and brake light were working fine but no rear running light. I thought that was strange, went to start the bike and it just clicked, wouldn't turn over.

Checked the fuses and fuse #8 - 5v - had blown. Put a new one in. Tested the battery, that seemed ok. Reconnected the new lights and exactly the same problem, no running light and no turnover.

Rear light wires are a simple black, blue and red, which matches up to the new light, tried swapping the red and blue over to see if they'd messed up the colours on the new light, and if I have blue to red and red to blue then I get the running light and the brake light all working fine (also tested this with the old rear light and works the same). Also won't start with the rear light/indicator completely disconnected.

Somehow I blew the fuse, may have touched the wires together or touched the frame or something by accident. So what could be stopping it starting up? it's like its immobilised – is that possible??

Sorry for the lengthy message but I've tried to give as much detail as poss!

View attachment light.jpg

2. Alisdair

Alisdair Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Richmond, London, UK
    Problem solved, the battery had dropped to 11.7v so although it all seemed fine with lights etc, it would just click and not crank.

• Like Like x 2
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Good to hear it’s sorted, it’s amazing how doom and gloom strikes and the simplest things are overlooked

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alisdair

Alisdair Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Richmond, London, UK
    Yeah. My first thought was the battery but it felt too much of a coincidence to be that while I was messing about with wiring and fuses so thought I'd done something wrong. Should have tested the battery voltage straight away!

• Like Like x 1
  5. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Congratulations on this problem solved. I'm glad it was as simple, and I certainly understand your worries about the timing. Nobody looks forward to troubleshooting electrical problems!

6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Damn these modern bikes are particular about battery voltage aren’t they, down to 11.7 volts and no starty starty.