Speedmaster Cable Question.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Herman66, Jan 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    Ok, my Harley Low Rider has gone and got the Triumph Speedmaster coming in February
    I have ordered it with mid control and the straight bars which Triumph say need the shorter cable kit.
    I will be fitting the Motone 1 inch up and over risers.
    I am wondering if the shorter cable kit is needed as with the Motone risers there shouldn't be too much slack with the original beach bar cables, anybody run the stock cables with Motone risers and straight bars on this bike?
    Any thoughts?... I want the cables to run all the way along the bars and down into the neck of the bike, not to fall short and then hang down towards the neck ...thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:confused: Not sure about this so you’ll have to check with your dealer but I believe when you order a bike it comes as standard and then the dealer has to put your none standard parts on :)
    If this is the case then you should or could get the parts that they took off :)
    Then you would have the standard longer clutch cable to play with and route it to suit with your risers :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Buy the Motone up&overs and give them to your dealer they can decide if the cables need changing during fitting

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I have the Speedmaster with the straight bar and cables. I'd say you want the shorter cables, then you'll end up with the same bars and cables as the Bobber (I believe), and the Motone 1 inch up-and-over risers definitely work for the Bobber as many people have fitted them. The stock cables for the beach bars, as well as being much longer also come off the clutch and brake fittings mostly straight (parallel to the handlebars), whereas the short ones have fittings that turn them through nearly 90 degrees so they point forward to go over the streering yoke.

As Dilligaf said, the bike will be delivered to the dealers in stock configuration, and they will fit the straight bars and cables you paid for, and give you the originals to take away.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    Thanks Brown Mouse,,
    Yes I didn't think about the clutch cable, the original apparently has a certain amount of directional moulding around the lever to direct it the same way as the beach bars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Brake line also has an angled banjo fitting.

I'm trying to work out how to get a brake line somewhere in length between original and the short one. I can't just use the original one and live with the slack, because the banjo fitting is straight and is also in the wrong plane, which prevents even just bending the line sharply. Also, just getting a custom line is a bit tricky, because the end that goes under tank looks like this...

line.jpg

I'm wondering if anywhere and take an existing line and stick a banjo fitting on it?

• Like Like x 2