Speedmaster/america Seat Fix!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by CrustyChief, Oct 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CrustyChief

CrustyChief Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Hey, blokes...err..mates. Dudes, dont spend that 600 bucks...uuhh... quid on that new seat just yet. My wife won't ride on my speedy because the pillion seat kills her bum..uhhm...ass. here is a fix for $30.
    1. Go to your local walmart and get the $23 auto seat cushion with gel.
    2. Get a staple gun.
    3. Pull the cover off the back of your seat. Only to the grab strap. Make sure your new staples are the same length as the ones you pulled out
    4. Cut out the old foam all the way to the plastic. Use the groove in the foam as a guide. This will make a giant crater in your back seat foam.
    5. Use the piece you cut out as a template and cut out a new piece from the gel/memory foam. My new piece was thicker. But that's ok. It will press down.
    6. Skim the top off your old piece. This will be your smooth cap. To give your pillion seat its shape.
    7 Now for the mod. Flip the plastic seat pan over. Use a jigsaw or a dremel blade and cut out the huge ridge that is going between your gals bum crack. See the pix for what the hole will look like after you cut it out. This is the problem with the speedmaster seat. That ridge has to go!
    8. Form and fit and restaple.

20191027_165005.jpg

20191027_181510.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. CrustyChief

Oct 25, 2019
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yep, it will do. Looks like the stock seat, but I added a ton of memory foam and a gel strip. Cutting that piece of plastic out makes more room for foam and it feels great.

• Like Like x 3
  3. CrustyChief

Oct 25, 2019
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Further guidance: I wanted to share what i learned about the problem with the stock speedy seats.
    1. The original foam is two layers. The first layer on the bottom is very dense, hard, and not flexible. This hard foam is problem #1. Cut it out with a long fillet knife, or flexible razor. I got mine from the hardware store for less than 2 bucks. Save the top part to put over your gel pad.
    #2 problem is the ridge on the seat pan. Not only does it poke your passenger across the tailbone, it takes up space. Just simply cut it out. Now more room for memory foam. Dont forget to put a water barrier on the bottom now that there is a hole. The seat feels great now.

• Like Like x 2