Speedmaster. 799cc or 865cc?

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Yeti, Jun 18, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Yeti

Yeti New Member

May 20, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi guys,

I'm going to be buying a Speedmaster and am looking at a couple of bikes. Around 2005 they went from 799cc to 865cc as I'm sure you're all aware. I was wondering if there is any 'real' differences noticed in this? I naturally want more power and torque but the best bike so far is the 799cc.

Also, do the straight through pipes unlock more power from the engine vs the originals? I'm thinking that they do but would rather know from someone more experienced.

The bike is this one, http://www.nettimoto.com/en/triumph/speedmaster/1676407

Cheers!

Dave

2. Yeti

Yeti New Member

May 20, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Evening All,

Seriously, no opinions?

Well, fair enough...

3. Thorpy74

Thorpy74 New Member

May 11, 2014
    Hi Yeti, I have the 865 with hi flow pipes on and find no power difference over standard. Don't no about 799 though.

Cosmetically the bikes are quite different but to ride would think not so.

4. Stu

Stu New Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Derbyshire UK
    Hi Yeti

I have the 865 as well. Regarding power there really isn't much anyway, the book says 54 bhp.

If it's power you are after, look elsewhere.

Where this bike scores is chilled out cruising, though saying that it can get a wiggle on if needed and the handling isn't too bad for a twin shock set up.

Mine came with the short Triumph slash pipes and sounds good, if you get these make sure it is remapped if efi as it runs very rich if not, suspect the carb version will suffer similar troubles but have no experience.

Only cost me £30 at a Triumph dealer and worth every penny, they also balanced the cylinders.

Honest opinion, is it a good bike, yes. Could I have it is my only bike, no. Should I move it on, no way! she's a keeper.

Some days you just need to chill out.

5. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    Hi Yeti, I have the 2005 865cc it is a brilliant ride just done 680 mile and it didn't miss a beat ,I have altered the sprockets to a 19t which gets better fuel economy and lowers the rev's , to my knowledge there isn't a great deal of difference between the 790cc and the 865cc but I love it you won't regret buying either , I have the long TOR exhausts which sound sweet and give it a real bike sound , hope this helps :upyeah:

6. Stu

Stu New Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Derbyshire UK
    + 1 on the sprocket.

It makes a world of difference

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeti

Yeti New Member

May 20, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Cheers all,

Got myself a 2005 799cc with long straight-through pipes. Rides and sounds brilliant, enough torque for my riding style and fits my 2 metre frame.