Speedmaster 2020 Any Upgrade Suspension

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jacknzone, Mar 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jacknzone

Jacknzone Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Christchurch NZ
    I just did a little ride up the coast around 400 km and found that my new bike has very harsh suspension which lead to me having a sore back for about two weeks .(This bike is going no where )
    What I have been looking at is a Lowbrow custom spring seat which I think would look very cool !
    Has anyone put a sringer seat on a speedmaster ?
    Or can I get a replacement suspension for this bike ?
    Cheers

2. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga

Ohlins makes a shock for it ...https://www.ohlins.com/product-item/63195/

as far as seats go ...https://www.corbin.com/triumph/tsm18e.shtml they make a solo style as well as a two up

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jacknzone

Mar 5, 2020
    Christchurch NZ
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Jacknzone

Mar 5, 2020
    Christchurch NZ
    Hi Dartplayer have move it to 3 and will be testing it today Sunday
    I did check out the Matris rear Mono shock and now I know I can get a Mono shock it's a big help cheers
    I did check out Greywolf55 Touring seat yes it looks great but I'm still looking at a single seat set up
    The rear rack you told me about was great but our dollar has drop big time so I will wait to it goes up a bit I'm going to buy the rack cheers Dartplayer

• Like Like x 1
  7. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Jacknzone

Mar 5, 2020
    Christchurch NZ
    Thanks Greywolf55 I check the seat out thanks for the info
    Not sure if this seat will take shock wave out of the bump, I have been told
    Gel seat is the way to go I have seen a gel seat for a $100 less US than
    the Corbin but I will keep this seat in mind cheers

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jacknzone

Mar 5, 2020
    Christchurch NZ

Hi Dartplayer I did a little ride not sure if it helped as I didn't have time to ride the same road but if the weather is good this Sunday a group from work are going for a run up to Kaikoura and that the road that I rode before, so with this new setting that I'm on now it will be good test and on the way back I move it one more click just to see if improve the ride and if this works ok then I look at a new seat maybe a gel seat, Greywolf55 gave me a link for a Corbin seat but not sure it would absorb the shock wave like a gel seat and the seat would be a cheaper than a mono shock but what ever I do NZ dollar needs to go up cheers

• Like Like x 2
  10. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    That will have zero affect on comfort. If you up the preload you are just raising the rear ride height. Unless of course you were intimating he was bottoming out his shock with too little preload for his weight.

11. Jacknzone

Mar 5, 2020
    Christchurch NZ
    Hi XCaTel I'm 90kg and when the preload was set on 1 the shock went up my back it was a very sharp shock and when you have over 100 sharp shocks like that it turn out to be a bad ride but when I adjusted the preload to set 3 the ride did seem to a better ride. I still get a odd sharp shock every now and again , also the bike has travelled 3000km now .
    I was told by a workmate that he thinks the bike was bottoming out I'm thinking to put it up setting 4 still not happy with the shock absorber but will leave it till after my xmas trip as it get a good work out .
    Maybe I've been spoilt as I had a Tiger XRt before the speedmaster and the Tiger was a 1000km in one day bike ,the speedmaster is about 400km day bike but I'm happy with that !

• Like Like x 2
  12. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    That sounds like it then, bottoming out occasionally. I am spoilt by my Tiger too, I can sit on it all day but the Daytona (1995) is another matter. I have the same problem as you with only 100mm of travel on the rear shock and I suspect, 25 year old sludge for damping oil! - oh yes, and I'm heavier than you at 125Kg with all the clobber on too, just a minor footnote. :eek:

• Like Like x 2