Speed Twin Won't Start After Drop

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by speedy_e, Apr 14, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. speedy_e

speedy_e New Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Austin, TX
    Good morning, everyone. I need some help- I laid my bike down for the first time last night, and now it won't start. She sustained some minor cosmetic damage, but nothing else- she just won't start. I've heard about a "tip-over" sensor, but not sure what that is, or if there's one on my Speed Twin. Any ideas?

2. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi speedy, the item is called a tilt switch, what you need to do is turn the ignition on and off a few times, this allows the EMS to detect all is well, then turn on the ignition again and press the starter button and it should start. The tilt switch is for safety and cuts the engine, otherwise if you had it engaged in gear, the rear wheel would still be rotating and either the wheel or chain could tangle up on your limbs or clothing causing injury.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. speedy_e

speedy_e New Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Ice, I'll try that

• Like Like x 1
  4. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    There's a roll-over-valve in the petrol tank breather, which is just a one way valve to stop petrol coming out. Don't think that would stop engine starting, though if it got jammed I expect it would cause problems after a while if air couldn't get into tank to replace fuel being used.

I don't know about sensor detecting falls and cutting engine. I know my 2018 Speedmaster doesn't have such a thing as I've had to use kill switch to stop engine when loosing balance is low speed manoeuvrers when I first got the bike.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    The Triumph part number is T2502455, this part fits a lot of Triumph models and I can assure you it is fitted, most riders are unaware it's on their machine nor the location

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Indeed, it's on the parts diagram for my bike.

• Like Like x 1
  7. speedy_e

speedy_e New Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Austin, TX
    Well, I tried turning the ignition off/on a number of times, but no luck. A local mechanic suggested I try and jump it- that didn’t work either. Looks like I’ll be headed to the shop, boys.

8. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Clutch switch?
    If it fell on the LHS, its easy to dislodge it. Bike won't start if so.
    And, you won't get any errors either.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Unfortunately what can happen depending on the impact from a fall, is the the part inside the tilt switch that activates the cut out on the engine can dislodge, and as the tilt switch is a sealed unit it can't be repaired easily, A new one is under £50, but a word of caution parts for a lot of models are on back order, your local Triumph dealership can look on their system to see if the part is available from any of the UK dealer network. What I have done for people in the past is fit one from a different manufacturer, all I did was cut the plug of of the OEM faulty one and re soldered the wires to the original plug and heat shrunk the joint making it look as good as the OEM one, it's a really easy fix when you are stuck.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    Tilt sensor is located under the seat next to the tank and has the word UP on it. You could try unbolting it and giving it a shake to check that it rattles as it should and for a connection/disconnection with a multi meter or failing that a battery and a bulb.

11. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Let us know what the final diagnosis is, OK?

12. speedy_e

speedy_e New Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Austin, TX
    will do- thanks for the input, everyone