Speed Twin Seat Commonality?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by chris hill, Feb 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chris hill

chris hill Member

Oct 6, 2016
    harrogate
    I'm going to be getting a Speed Twin in a couple of months. I'm wanting to get a seat custom upholstered for it in the meantime. I intend buying a second hand or damaged seat off ebay or from a breakers to get re-covered.
    Can anyone tell me if the Speed Twin seat base (pan?) is common to any other models (Street Twin, T100, T120, Thruxton etc.).
    Or, alternatively, if a Speed Twin owner could post a photo of the bottom of their seat, I could maybe identify a matching seat base.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    The part number for the stock seat is T2308719
    I put that number into Fowlers Motorcycles linked bike checker and no other models were shown.
    It would appear according to their information that the Speed Twin seat only fits the Speed Twin.

Untitledseat.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. chris hill

chris hill Member

Oct 6, 2016
    harrogate
    Thanks for that. But a part number will only be for a particular model's seat.
    That's not to say that the nylon moulded base (on which the vinyl/foam sits) isn't common to numerous models.
    I'm getting rid of the vinyl and foam so it doesn't matter what bike it's off (if indeed the ST seat base is common to others).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I did the same as you with my Street Twin. I got a used seat off eBay, drew a diagram of what I wanted and got a seat upholsterer to make it.
    One small point I hadn't considered is my replacement seat isn't as waterproof as the original. I guess the holes created by the stitching let water through. So I'm careful not to soak it when I wash the bike although it dries out fairly quickly.
    Btw I'm pretty sure the ST seat won't fit the Speed Twin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. chris hill

chris hill Member

Oct 6, 2016
    harrogate
    I think I've found the answer. Speed Twin seats aren't interchangeable with any other bikes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bernard j czech

Jan 17, 2020
    coal township Pa
    there are upolstery kits for our seats that are an easy DIY + adding or shaping OE or aftermarket foam is possible, but if its in your budget getting a pro job is best!

• Like Like x 2