Speed Twin Recall

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Yorkshireman, Jan 20, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MTBskier

MTBskier Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    I had this issue on my speed twin shortly after buying my bike. The entire linkage backed itself out of the shift lever. Haven’t had anymore issues since the dealer fixed it. Probably just new lock tight like the article suggests. But I check it regularly now, just in case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    It was me. Mine sheared on a trip out in Yorkshire, had to ride for miles stuck in 1st gear. Managed a temporary fix to get me home and triumph replaced under warranty. I wrote to Triumph and complained and got a load of bullshite back from them. This fault and the squealing front brakes were the main reasons for me trading my speed twin after only just over five months of ownership.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Bryf

Bryf Guest

Just checked mine on the Triumph site and it is part of the recall, never been in this type of situation before so wondering does anyone know if Triumph would contact me directly or is it up to me to contact them??? My linkage is fine at the moment and I have checked it regularly since seeing Wessa's post a few months back, bike will go in for its annual service in early May so thinking I would probably just leave it til then if I can.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi @Bryf I never seen anything wrong with my gear linkage, so when it sheared it was a complete surprise. Lucky for me it happened a slow speed turn at a junction going from second to first. Had it happened at 60 or 70 mph on a motorway the outcome could have been a lot worse for me. I would not trust the linkage on your bike, go get it changed as soon as you can. Triumph would not have put out a recall if they did need to. Stay safe mate.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bryf

Bryf Guest

Thanks for the info Wessa, I will take your advice then and get it booked in as soon as possible, cheers mate

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Your very welcome mate....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Bryf
    Wessa Is bang on don't wait for it to happen get it done. Phone them asap.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bryf

Bryf Guest

Yes I will do Joe,

Thanks Buddy

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    When I checked mine a while ago it was being held on by a couple of threads. Re-tightened it and it has been fine since.Wondering if the Speed Twin side stand spring is any different to the Thruxton and if not if that will be the next recall item!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep that is more than likely mate....

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Every new Triumph I’ve had has been the subject of a recall. Are they any worse than other manufacturers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Nope I suspect that they are all about the same Nikki.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bryf

Bryf Guest

Hi BonnieCat, over the years I have had brand new Yamaha's, Suzuki's and Honda's and never once had a recall (or any actual problems with any of them) maybe I've been lucky?, this is my first Triumph and first experience of anything like this!!! find it quite scary that every new Triumph you've had has had a recall o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Try not to worry. Just get it fixed then I’m sure it’ll be fine. After all the recalls my bikes were ok after. At least yours hasn’t broken on you while you were riding it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Triumph acknowledging a fault and issuing a recall :)
    Who remembers Kawasaki and carb icing :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Me, I had a KLR 250 as a commuter and that had to have the mod done to warm the carb
    Actually I had two, one was D86 - - - and D95 - - - replaced it after some c#nt wanted it more than me:mad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    Went up early to Steve Jordans Motorcycles to have the reworked Ktec rear shocks refitted and the Triumph heated grips stopped working on the way there; hands were freezing! On the way back stopped into the Triumph Washington centre to get the recall issue booked in and they can look at the grip problem at the same time. looked up about the parts number for the sidestand springs and the Thruxton and the speed Twin are the same. Man at the triumph shop told me that the batch is different and there will be no recall for the Speed Twin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jeepster

Jeepster Member

My shifter shaft oil seal started leaking after 3000 miles back in October of 2019. Shaft was not loose or backed out, just leaking oil all over my brand new 2-1 exhaust system. Pissed me off.

• Agree Agree x 1