Speed Twin Rear Bearing Throw

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by birdscustard, Jul 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. birdscustard

birdscustard New Member

Jun 10, 2016
    llanelli
    Hello all I bought a speed twin 5 days ago on the ride it seemed okay once I got off the bike pushed it into the garage a had a rubbing sound coming from the bike at first it sounded like tyres on the floor then it seem to be a rubbing sound,I phoned the dealer they said it was probably the new tyres, I used the bike twice more I put the bike on a paddock stand and could see the chain touching the chain guard ,now a more serious issue is the rear wheel,axle bearing on both sides are throwing alot ,they aren't flush like any other bike I have owed ?? I have to take the bike back for the first service next week the journey back is 160 miles and I'm a little concerned it could end bad for me ,has anyone else had this on a triumph before any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance.

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    For gods sake do not ride the bike anymore. It sounds from your description that the wheel bearings are about to fall to bits which if they do while you are riding will undoubtedly lead to a nasty accident. Phone the dealer back and get them to collect it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Bryf

Bryf Guest

What do you mean by "both sides are throwing alot" ? a picture would be helpful, I could then do a comparison against my Speed Twin

4. Bryf

Bryf Guest

Here are pics of either side of my rear axle, might be of some use to compare with your own???

IMG_0803.JPG IMG_0801.JPG

5. birdscustard

birdscustard New Member

Jun 10, 2016
    llanelli
    ill take some photos tomorrow its as you show both seals to the bearing are not seated and throw side to side when you turn the wheel and it seems tho i could be wrong when you rotate the wheel the bearing/ rubber housing make a noise as if the are squeaking very strange .

6. birdscustard

birdscustard New Member

Jun 10, 2016
    llanelli
    There is a big gap say at the top when you rotate it around there in no gap, the wheel nut side has the worse gap its clear to see when you spin the wheel.

7. Bryf

Bryf Guest

The fact you say the gap differs when you turn the wheel sounds a bit ominous, mine is uniform when spun, regarding the noise, my bike also makes a small strange squeaky kinda noise, (this might sound stupid, but its not a threatening/bad kind of noise?? I know what I mean, :joy:) I notice when I move it around the garage, its done it since I got it around 2 and a half months ago/over 2000 miles ago and never got any worse/better, have had a look but could see no reason for it (nothing rubbing etc) so just been ignoring it thinking its just a little quirk of the bike?

8. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Both our bikes squeak as well as and the demo bike did as well lol

9. Bryf

Bryf Guest

Would seem that the squeaking is nowt to worry about then at least :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cpclay

Cpclay New Member

Apr 23, 2019
    West Berkshire
    My Speed Twin also made a squeaky rubbing sound from around the rear wheel bearing on the drive side. I mentioned it when I took mŷ bike for its 500 mile service. Andy told me he lubricated the wheel bearing oil seals. Noise is now gone.
    I got the impression that it is a known issue.
    Clinton

• Like Like x 1