Speed Twin Oil Leak Sump Gasket?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Franz, May 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Franz

Franz New Member

May 24, 2020
    Finland
    Hi!

I bought a brand new Speed Twin some weeks ago. It has only run 400km and I noticed what might seem as a small oil leak from the sump gasket. I created a video that shows it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojwyveqj5nvqgl8/triumph_speed_twin_oil_sump_gasket.mov?dl=0

Is this something that is normal on a new bike with a new gasket? When trying to wipe it a bit it seems like oil/wet dirt. I've not ridden in any wet conditions.

I've contacted my dealer and they will look at it on the first service next week. Have any of you experienced the same?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Welcome to the forum!

No, you shouldn't have an oil leak on a new bike and it is good that the dealer are going to look at it next week.

When you get the bike back after service keep an eye on it and if the leak continues take it back to the dealer again, you have a warranty on the bike and this is what it is for!

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Franz
    Welcome to the family. No there shouldn't be a leak. Get them to sort it. If it doesn't then ask for a replacement bike. Do hit the upload a file button bottom right corner and show the inmates the new steed. Thinking about the leak are you sure it's a definate leak. As the new bike have a mist grease on them that should be cleaned of by the dealer on the pre delivery checks.
    Regards
    Joe.

4. Franz

Franz New Member

May 24, 2020
    Finland
    Thank you all for your input and the warm welcome to the forum!

I guess they will sort it out next week on the first service. I really hope that it is just the "mist grease" that joe mc donald mentioned. I would just like to ride this summer, not fight with oily leaks on a brand new bike. :-D

• Like Like x 2
  5. Franz

Franz New Member

May 24, 2020
    Finland
    So, I’m starting to think that it is some coolant leak/overflow or something. The coolant tank is way over max even when the engine is cold. Can too much coolant damage the engine?

• Like Like x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Franz.
    No the bike should just spit it out through the over flow pipe. Make sure they haven't stuck one of those stupid bugs on the end of the pipe. If there is take it out till the bike finds it level and then replace it. Think you are getting new bike jitters.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1