Speed Twin Ignition Parts

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ranger, Jul 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ranger

Ranger New Member

Jul 17, 2019
    UK
    Hi, I just need some help to identify missing parts on the lower ignition for a speed twin which was involved in a RTA which I purchased.

This plastic part on the cable is broken which I assume sat under the key barrel but I can’t find the part on the diagrams. I’m not sure where the immobiliser sits and if this is missing from in here as well. Maybe it’s the bracket and immobilisers I need but I don’t have experience or pics online to verify and all the clocks are missing. Any help would be appreciated?

See attached pic

Parts diagram here:
    https://www.worldoftriumph.com/part...triumphmc/modelid/611001/block/100098052-0-2/

44B13738-8672-405C-B637-1425ED4494C0.jpeg

2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Can't help with your parts question, but I'm interested in what happened to the bike before you bought it?

3. Ranger

Ranger New Member

Jul 17, 2019
    UK
    Not sure exactly but looks like it ran up the end of another vehicle. Tyres weren’t even scrubbed in. Front end damage only and insurance write off. Brought it on eBay as a project.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good luck getting it back together. Once done you will have a great bike :):)

5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    The white bit that’s circled would fit upside down under what’s left of the ignition barrel, the other bit that’s circled. It has the contacts that are made when the key is turned, lighting up the dash, priming the fuel pump etc. It’s obviously been smashed in the impact along with the instruments and you are going to need new parts to get the bike running. Seen many an ignition barrel like that in the 90’s, it was the favoured method of stealing cars*, pop a rear quarter light, break the plastics from round the steering column then scaff pole the barrel allowing a screwdriver to do what the key did previously.
    *Disclaimer* I did not steal cars in the 90’s, I was one of the “good guys”;)
    Good luck with the project.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ranger

Ranger New Member

Jul 17, 2019
    UK
    Thanks for the assistance and advice.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    I've just taken some photos of my front end with the steering lock on. Bit of a jumble in there but you might be able to work out some of it.
    Here's a couple from the left...

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

8. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    And a couple from the right and below...

Most of the wires feed into the back of the headlight. Not had a look in there.

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

9. Ranger

Ranger New Member

Jul 17, 2019
    UK
    Fantastic, thanks for these pics. They have helped a lot.

Inside the headlight is a plastic housing which all these wires are arranged neatly with various connections.