Speed Twin Gone A Bit Wrong...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Wurzel Chris, Nov 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wurzel Chris

Wurzel Chris Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Somerest
    Ok, so I'm riding my Speed Twin sensibly but every time I put just a little power the traction control kicks in, and I mean a little power, not giving it the beans just a gentle twist, then after 15 miles or so, dash lights up like a Christmas tree and service 'spanner' starts flashing. Then the distance remaining on the fuel meter gradually climbs to 212 miles when I've done 70. It's all gone a bit wrong.....

Any ideas Ladies & Gents...

speedo.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Sounds like you’ve got some water in an electrical connection possibly, have you used a pressure washer on it recently? You’ll still be under warranty won’t you, let a dealer sort it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Haddock

Haddock Member

Oct 9, 2019
    Netherlands
    Battery ok?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    You sure its not a Guzzi in disguise;)

That was the favourite trick on my Breva 1100 with its dodgy dash.

But as said above either water or battery or shitty connector.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I agree with Yorkshireman, get it into the dealers....

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Low voltage or bad ground (earth) can cause havoc. Unless it's a Lucas dash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wurzel Chris

Wurzel Chris Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Somerest
    booked into the dealers for diagnostic check. he didn't quite get it either.

don't use a pressure washer and very careful around electrics when I wash it.

more frustrated than anything else as.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I, like a few others I guess, would be interested in what the problem is if you wouldn’t mind updating when they’ve had a look at it. Best of luck.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    This stuff is like a magic spray and has solved more than one electronics problem on my car and bike;
    https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/w...-MAHoiuLTIcq6GsJKLX9YDAHF07jASxMaAiEQEALw_wcB

Recently had a leaking windscreen on my car that made the dash electronics go bonkers, also had a problem with the indicator on my bike. This spray fixed both, obviously may be something else causing your problems, but it is such an easy job to spray this and wipeup any residual I thought it worth mentioning.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    yep any contact cleaner will work for connections, but on a newish bike guess it probably needs investigation by dealer!! Would be horrified if it was corroded connection?

But we are all curious as to the cause? so please let us know

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Wurzel Chris

Wurzel Chris Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Somerest
    Bike is in on Wednesday. Little update, I started her up today and rode with the TC off and bike was fine, no warning lights, all good, it was wet but all good. I stopped and turned the tc back on and The tc started kicking in immediately. I had a new tyre Bridgestone B21 put on a week ago and reading reviews they say that it’s not that good. Could the tyre really be causing the TC to kick in. I’m not pushing it all at, in fact being super gentle...

I’ll up date once I get 5he dealer feedback but the tyre is causing concern.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    The original tyre profile is quite tall so if your new tyre is a more standard profile it will be a smaller radius so could well be the problem as its now turning faster and triggering the TCT.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. NightRider

NightRider Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Europe
    #13 NightRider, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    I would say that is most likely his problem. I have the suspicion that he got the wrong tyre dimension. Anyway, I consider that much more likely than an electrical defect. A much better choice would have been the Bridgestone BATTLAX T31, with the dimensions:
    • Rear tyre: 160/60 R 17 69W
    • Front tyre: 120/70 R 17 58W

• Useful Useful x 2
  14. Wurzel Chris

Wurzel Chris Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Somerest
    Sounds fair. I'll check the electrics with the dealer anyway but the more research I do the more likely I think it is the tyre choice.

Oh well, live and learn. Thanks all, I'll update once I've spoken to my friendly dealer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Wurzel Chris.
    When I had my 1200 bonnie it did all the same faults. Bulldog triumph had it back nearly two weeks and it turned out to be the traction control sensor aswel. It had a loose connection.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Wurzel Chris

Wurzel Chris Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Somerest
    OK, so here is the update.

Triumph dealer say it is where the tyre was fitted and they have damaged the rings and sensor around the rear wheel causing the traction control sensor to run incorrectly, causing the whole system to fail, ABS, Traction control, and generally making the dash go haywire - cost, £300 for bits plus labour - booked in. Not a warranty claim.

A tad upset on the way home I've been back to the guys that fitted the tyre and spoken to them. They've had a look and doubled checked the sensor. Put in a spacer and all working fine...!

Baby back to running like a dream. So yes, the tyre guys may have made a mistake and over tightened the sensor.

Do I really need all these components replacing?

At a bit of a loss not being the most mechanically minded person in the world. I just like riding a bike that works and don't want to be ripped off, or is this how it goes to keep the warranty in place?

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hold on a minute, Triumph techs have checked the bike and say it needs £300+ of parts but all it needed according to a non Triumph qualified tyre fitter was a spacer fitting on the wheel sensor? If it isn’t covered by warranty because of a fault caused by a tyre fitter then I’d be tempted to ask Triumph for proof the work needs doing then “inviting” the tyre shop to cough up for their error. They’ll have insurance to cover that kind of issue, I wouldn’t be paying Triumph’s bill for something I’d not caused.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Wurzel Chris.
    Funny old world. Yes if the tyre fitters lost a spacer while working on you bike. Triumph won't take the time to strip it all unless you volunteer to pay. And if the do strip it all and find the sensor damaged then that gets added on. As I think your warranty won't cover damage caused by a tyre fitter. As yorkshireman said you would have to pay and reclaim from the fitter. And no we don't need all this garbage they put on our machines one bit. My 2018 bonnie has stay in the one position since I bought it. I can't be arsed wit fiddling around with all these buttons and digits. I have rode bike all my life and don't need some Euro Prat telling me my bike needs this and that. Rant over.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Tinbasher Hughie

Tinbasher Hughie New Member

Apr 1, 2023
    Derbyshire

20. Tinbasher Hughie

Tinbasher Hughie New Member

Apr 1, 2023
    Derbyshire
    Hi guys; just picked up this old blog from 2019 after taking my wheels off for new tyres after mot failure on my Speed Twin.

Used my old adjustable paddock stands to get both wheels off the ground. I tried to located the rear one with the universal cups but noticed it was fouling a small black cable that goes into the brake Caliper, & stopped straight away, thinking nothing of it.

Made some bits to locate properly & safely, then removed both wheels no probs. My tyre fitters fitted my free issue Pirelli Diablo Rosso!!! Tyres that I was replacing. Job done; with the normal bit of a faff getting the Calipers & pads lined up & all back on, for the formality of the Retest.

Start the bike up no probs, revving like normal !! Set off up the road & immediately a stuttering limp mode kicked in & tc lights flashing !!! 10/15 mph max, so turned straight round to figure out whatsup.

First thing I thought was to top up the brake fluid reservoir, even tho I didn’t think any had leaked out. Next I turned off the TC as I don’t have photographic memory of the handbook of which warning light is what ! or what buttons I should be pressing ?

I’m all in favour of safety gadgets guys but, I’m experienced enough to know if I whack open the throttle with those horses ready & waiting on wet roads; I’m on my ass !!

All I’m saying is more electronics & fly by wire; & more stuff to go wrong ??

Those 2 things I thought may be the cause, but the moment I set off again it went to limp mode again, but found pulling the clutch in & waiting for the revs to get to 3k ish I managed to coax it to the test station & maybe clear itself !!! No it didn’t & that’s what caused me to ask Google’s advise & got this forum & so opening up a can of worms, so to speak & joined the clan.

I have my thoughts that I may have slightly squashed the cable to the rear Caliper that sends all the clever stuff to the on board computer - 1st concern

• Not a lot of faith in dealerships that charge by the hour, & not to blame if 10miles down the road it happens again.
    • Vagueness of error codes & swapping stuff that may be perfectly ok ??
    This is the great mystery of Biking guys, & have read most of the varied comments you’ve offered Wurzel Chris; all worthwhile & valid !!

I just want to get it sorted as cheaply & quickly as poss & get back to riding this fabulous British bike.

I’ll keep you posted on what I find & happy riding Guys.

• Like Like x 1