Speed Twin Fork Brace?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by roginoz, Aug 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. roginoz

roginoz Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Wichita, KS
    I've been told that there's a Triumph accessory fork brace for the Thruxton (non-R model) that will fit the Speed Twin. Does anyone have experience with this, or knowledge of it? In searching for aftermarket fork braces it seems that most specify that they won't fit models with cast wheels. (I don't understand why this would make a difference.) I have fork braces on two of my other non-inverted fork bikes (Honda ST1300 and Kawasaki KLR650,) and they seem to improve the handling. Thoughts or suggestions?

2. roginoz

roginoz Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Wichita, KS
    It appears that the brace for the Thruxton (PN A2041204) will fit. Finding one seems to be another matter. My dealer says they're out of stock at Triumph USA. I doubt that any of our dealers happen to have on in stock; probably not a big seller.

3. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    #3 Kinjane, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    That's definitely the part number for the brace that fits the speed twin.

fork brace.png

I fitted mine after setting the forks parallel. So I cant say for sure if it was the fork brace that improved the handling or lack of stiction from the forks that the bike had been suffering with from Day1. Just bolted straight on - whether it would have done so had the forks been in their original position is unknown. The forks moved 0.5mm further apart once the clamp pinch bolt had been slackened off on the right hand lower fork leg.
    I found no UK dealers kept this item in stock, but a back-order purchase had it delivered within a couple of days.

• Like Like x 3
  4. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    hi thinking of getting one of these have you got it fitted on top of the gaiter or do you slide the gaiter up and then fit it . the reason im going to try one is if you go fast into a bend the front definitely gets a bit out of shape and you can feel the forks twisting a bit

• Like Like x 1
  5. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    #5 Don the Don, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    #6 Kinjane, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    The gaiter needs to be moved up before fitting the fork brace.
    Underneath the Speed Twin gaiter there are two locating grooves, once the gaiter has been correctly positioned in the upper groove the Triumph A2041204 fork brace is then fitted and covers the redundant lower one. This is a totally different fork brace to the aftermarket one seen in the video. The two (unseen) inner bolts are torqued first to 25Nm, then the two outer bolts are tightened the same amount.

NB Tighten the outer left hand (gear lever) side bolt first, this tightens the circular end of the brace around the left fork leg and then tighten the other one which clamps the elongated (floating) end of the brace around the right hand fork leg.
    tt brace.png
    edited for bolt tightening sequence

• Like Like x 2
  7. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    Thanks just ordered one

8. roginoz

roginoz Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Wichita, KS
    Found one in Edmonton, Canada; they actually had one in stock, and were happy to ship it to the USA. It should arrive in about a week. Eurotek, the Triumph dealer in Oklahoma City, put me on to them. Apparently, there's a system for dealers to see what everyone has in stock.

• Like Like x 2
  9. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    did you find out what caused the forks to move I slackened everything of at the front to check alignment when I loosened the pinch bolt the right hand fork leg moved outwards nearly 2mm I thought that was strange. that's probably the first time its been loosened since it left the factory I consequently re torqued and loosened it a further 3 times just to check now when its loosened the forks don't move at all so im not to sure what was going on.

10. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    Could only have been Incorrect alignment on the assembly line.
    I've covered several hundred miles since fitting it and it was only today I realised that immediately after aligning the fork leg and fitting the fork brace fitting that

MY FRONT BRAKES HAVE STOPPED SQUEALING

now that's definitely worth shouting about ;)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    I fitted the Motone version to my T120 couldn't track down a Triumph one.

12. roginoz

roginoz Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Wichita, KS
    I fitted the fork brace this evening. One caveat: follow Kinjane's instructions (above,) rather than Triumph's (available online.) It's almost impossible to fit the gaiter after the brace is installed (as suggested by Triumph.) Personally, I think the bike looks better without the brace, but I've found that conventional forks (as opposed to the inverted ones like on the Thruxton R) benefit from a fork brace. I'd previously installed them on my ST1300 and KLR.

• Like Like x 1