Speed Twin - Engine Heat

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Acadena, Mar 21, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Acadena

Acadena Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
    Hello everybody.
    I am new here and I am starting as I did not find any other discussion about it.

I have a brand new Speed Twin (2019/2020) with 450km that I bought in Rio de Janeiro/Brazil, a special hot environment.

Since the first kilometers, I observed the huge heat from the engine, specific when the radiator´s ventilators start. There is an huge flux of hot air going directly to the legs independently how wide you open them.

This is mainly noticed during low speeds and/or traffic jams.

I understand that in cold environment this would be nice, but in the hell/summer, this is very bad.

Said that, did any of you experienced this? Did you find any workaround do solve id?

After reading a lot, I found that some changes would help a little bit, like:

1) Remove the catalyser and installing a X-PIPE
    2) Change the stock air filter for K&N or DNA
    3) Change the stock exhaust fot V&H, Akrapovic or any other
    4) Installing the BOOSTER PLUG

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you very much

2. Vectis John

Vectis John Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    Hi Acedena - I have a Bonneville, not the same bike but similar layout. I got the bike from new and found for the first 1000 miles whilst the bike was running in it did run very hot, the cooling fan cut in when stationary resulting in hot air blowing onto my legs.
    As the engine loosened up it ran cooler and the problem disappeared.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Acadena

Acadena Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
    Thank you in sharing. This is great. I hope my engine gets the same result. As soon we are free from COVID-19´s home quarantine I will some kilometers over it and I will post the result.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    any of the changes you mention above wont make any difference to the engine getting hot my speed twin gets hot im afraid that's just how they are.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Acadena

Acadena Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
    Thank you. I was wondering that any of those changes could result in less effort on the engine in expelling flue gases resulting in a smoother operation and then, less heat. Just wondering. Regards

• Like Like x 1
  6. Unload

Unload New Member

Feb 11, 2021
    Usa
    #6 Unload, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021

Hey Acadena, i was wondering how this was going? I will be living in Rio the next few years and I know how hot it gets. Speed twin is one of the bikes I am considering. Have you done anything to change this or have you adapted?

Edit: Nevermid, i saw your other posts on corrosion/warranty etc...... I live now in Miami and in Rio again soon so.. Nope Japanese it is for me.

7. Acadena

Acadena Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
    Hello. First of all, I wish you a very pleasant and safe stay in Rio.

Coincidence that I just installed the Booster Plug 2 hours ago and went out for a test.

Ok. Let's go in order.

I bought the bike in May last year when it was not that hot. Even though not that hot it was able to feel the heat.

Now, the heat from engine is not a problem at all. The problem is the heat that comes out the radiator's fan when on. The "hot wind" goes directly to your legs when your are stopped and/or slow speeds.

So, what I did to try to reduce this was try to smoother the engine operation in order to reduce the amount of times the fan goes on and maybe to have a reduced speed:

1) Installed a K&N air filter. The bike got a little better in terms of engine operation but did not made any difference in the heat.

2)Removed the CAT ( I can indicate you where I did this job ). Engine got even better but came along with exhaust popping. I I believe helped in reducing the heat. I really have no how to measure it. But the bike got better.

Well, after this the Rio's climate got extremely hot and I notice the engine was not running as smooth as it should. I was in doubt it the problem was related with DECAT along with the stock ECU mapping or just because the ECU mapping in line the gas emissions ( .... and plus DECAT....and so on...).

So, I read a lot about ECUs, MAPPING, EFI and decided to take a shot with BOOSTER PLUG.

Now I have a real bike. Runs very smooth and performance in low speeds much better. I can not say if the heat reduced or not because I just got few kilometers.

Said all that, I have a solutions to sove it once for all as the heat that bothers me it not from the engine itself but the "WIND FROM THE FAN"when on. I am developing one air deflector of each side in order to redirect this "WIND". It will be a very simple solution.

So, if you really comes to buy any Triumph be sure that all are very HOT. If you decide for a Scrambler it is even worse because the position of the CAT.

And also if you decide to install a BOOSTER PLUG, buy it when still in USA because you will not suffer with Brazilian IMPORT DUTIES.

By the way, I installed also a STEERING DAMPER, an AIR HORN (totally hidden), and both SMART TURN SYSTEM and SMART BRAKE. All very good.

Hope have helped.

8. Unload

Unload New Member

Feb 11, 2021
    Usa
    Hey acadena,

Thank you very much for your advice and the detailed reply. This is very helpful. I am going to decide when I get there based on availability but the speed twin is such an awesome bike for what I am looking for. We will see.

Enjoy the ride and thank you.

• Like Like x 1