Speed Twin Engine Bars

Discussion in 'Triumph Twin Power' started by SpeedTwin1200, Oct 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Not sure I'm going to leave these on......Hepco & Becker Engine Protection Bars. I think they're a better bet than Triumph's own Dresser Bars which I'm sending back, - they don't have the connecting tube running behind the cylinders.

To get a spanner on the nuts at the top, I had to take the tank off but you can just get a spanner on the lower ones with a bit of a fiddle. I bought this tool for the job; Wera 8767 C HF TORX® Zyklop holding function bit socket, 1/2" drive, TX 55x60mm.

I'm more happy with the Engine Protector Kit (Part Number: A9618149 from Triumph) though as they blend in much better than some of the other after market stuff available.

I only fitted this lot for some peace of mind while I did 2 days of i2i M/C Academy training in Yorkshire. Actually, there is little chance of dropping your bike but I didn't want to risk it, especially after it fell over in the garage a while back and somehow didn't get marked. Two bikes were picked up though, but only when they fell over at <5mph on a tight turn.

But as far as engine bars go, I'm quite impressed with the fit and finish and they are not as obvious as I'd expected.

IMG_1484 copy.jpg

IMG_1486 copy.jpg

IMG_1483 copy.jpg

IMG_1485 copy.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Ooooooh. I need to get the engine protector kit. That’s low volume, but effective stuff.

The head scratching thing is, how do you protect the Speed Twin without ruining the minimalist aesthetic? That’s why I like that engine protector kit.

3. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    sorry not for me there probably very effective but with me its all about the look of the bike I'll worry about the damage if and when I drop the bike:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. milligan

milligan Member

May 24, 2017
    n.e. lincs
    Check your insurance,I stupidly mentioned engine bars on renewal, they wouldn’t insure me ? (CN )?

5. Mops

Mops New Member

Oct 15, 2019
    South Wales
    Hi and Greetings.
    What Torque settings did you use for the Hepco & Becker frame installation ? Specifically the front 4 (Left and Right side) existing engine to frame mounting points.
    Ive noticed Triumph specifies 105Nm on their dresser bars installation which is factory / normal spec for these engine to frame bolts, and that to me seems logical.
    Any other aftermarket installation I can find which uses these existing engine to frame mounting points either has no specification for torque settings or a much lower setting (E.g 40Nm for R&G Racing aero sliders).
    I can't bring myself to feel comfortable in fitting aftermarket parts using existing load / stress bearing engine to frame mounting points, and then not tightening them back up to factory spec.

So for me it'll be Triumph dresser bars all day long if fitting this type of protector.

Did you come across this yourself?

Thoughts / opinions anyone ?

Thanks

6. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    That's bonkers! You try to reduce potential damage and therefore cost to the insurance company and they reckon it's a bad thing? I assume CN stands for Carol Nash. If you're looking for a company that actually understands the alterations we make try Bikesure. They list a range of custom changes that make no difference to your premium and you don't even need to notify them, including suspension, exhaust, indicators. Don't know if engine bars are listed but I expect they are.

7. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    What is the reason that you don't want to tighten to 105nm? Could always get higher spec bolts if the bar kits come with longer ones?

8. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    When I installed them, I just tightened the frame bolts on my Sato Racing crash bungs to 105 nm. Factory spec, no big deal.

9. Mops

Mops New Member

Oct 15, 2019
    South Wales
    Hi Thanks for the reply. Just had a look at the Sato Racing website. First crash / slide protectors I've seen where the existing engine bolts are all re-used other than the Triumph dresser bars . So fully agree no big deal as this, to my mind, would be the logical way forward. Im getting a bit OCD where these quite expensive aftermarket parts replace the original engine bolt / bolts with another type (Lower Spec?) and then either specify a much lower torque setting or non at all. Heres an example. R&G Racing Crash sliders replace the lower engine to frame bolt with a M12 8.8 bolt and then specify no more than 40Nm.
    Would it be possible to send a couple of photos of your Sato Racing crash bung installation? I can't find the ones specifically for the Speed Twin on their website. As Triumph have changed the lower engine / frame mounting setup for the Speed Twin (Its different from the Thruxton R) I'd really like to see an actual installation before buying. Info: I recently purchased directly from R&G Racing the Crash sliders marketed for "Thruxton R / Street Twin / Speed Twin". when I looked at the fitting they didn't fit the Speed Twin due to this engine / frame mounting change. After a phone call and refund, R&G have removed the Speed Twin from all marketing for crash sliders. They are currently working on a solution I believe.
    Many Thanks and Regards

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mops

Mops New Member

Oct 15, 2019
    South Wales
    Hi Thanks for the reply. Agree! But thats spending more money after buying these kits. Also I wouldn't really know what spec would be suitable. Material of the said bolts plus loading specs etc. I'm thinking it would have to be something that can be tightened to 105Nm and still have sufficiant remaining strength in the bolt to do its original job (Engine / Frame mounting support).
    Have I got this right?
    Many Thanks and Regards

11. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I guess so, the best option is finding a solution that is able to use the existing bolts or matches the torque. I am no expert on the grading of bolts, was just offering thoughts. I would seek advice from some good suppliers before doing it. I think 12.9 are about the strongest, just don't take the word of this idiot on a forum!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Hi, Mops.

Here's a couple of pics of the Sato Racing sliders on my Speed Twin. I also have a latest generation Bonneville with these same sliders.

Frankly, they don't look as stout as the crash bar type that go over the header pipe. But I'm a sucker for the minimal look! :)

Best

Jet City

IMG_8905.JPEG

Sato Racing Crop.jpg

13. Mops

Mops New Member

Oct 15, 2019
    South Wales
    Hi Jet,
    Thank you so much for the pics and taking the time to reply. I can see clearly how they are installed on your bike. Again many Thanks and Regards.
    Info: Im thinking of dropping the idea of sliders on my bike.
    I emailed Saito Racing Yesterday about using the Thruxton R sliders shown on their website as nothing specific shown for the Speed Twin. They replied as follows:
    "Thank you for your interest in Sato Racing products!
    Our Thruxton-type frame sliders are not compatible with 2019 Speed Twin (different design where the front of the engine attaches to the frame). If we ever start selling frame sliders for the Speed Twin, I will let you know.

Thank you for checking with us!

Regards,

Matt Hall"
    Sato Racing Inc.
    [email protected]
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sato-Racing-Inc/121140504608696

14. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    :grinning:

What is Matt at Sato Racing smoking? Those same sliders fit on my 2018 Bonneville and 2019 Speed Twin EXACTLY the same way.

The motor mounts for those two bikes and the Thruxton are the same. Where’s my eye roll emoji?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    When I fitted the H&B bars, I could get a torque wrench on the top bolts but there was no clearance for the bottom ones. I can't remember the torque figures but I satisfied myself that everything was tight enough.
    I'm sure if I had a look, I might find a tool that would work, but there are many fasteners that you can't get a measured torque value onto. I have been surprised how loose a few things have been too (and I'm not in the habit of overtightening things either).

16. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I use a setup like this...
    Untitled.png

1kg = 10N, if spanner is 20cm (i.e. 0.2m) the 1kg reading on scale, is 10N times 0.2m = 2Nm. Just make sure you're pulling at right angles to spanner, If you have C spanners with holes in end, or other means off attaching scales, then you can torque things like head bearings by the book. I do this because every review of any torque wrench I've seen has someone saying the calibration is crap and they stripped threads.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1