Featured Speed Twin Booster Plug Review

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by meepmeep, Sep 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. meepmeep

meepmeep Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Herts
    I fitted a Booster Plug to the Speed Twin a couple of weeks ago, as the bike was hesitant and actually stalled a couple of times. Many people have reported this engine to respond well to the mod, and having just riden for a few miles I agree.

The 500-mile service was today. I let the guys know there was a BP fitted, as this might have thrown out diagnostic readings. The bike now feels much better, less snatchy and less 'digital'.

Shame that rain mode was needed on the way home!

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. adrian knight

adrian knight Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2019
    HAMPSHIRE
    i was thinking about fitting one to mine , which make did you go for ?
    did you fit the sensor into the airbox ?

3. meepmeep

Jul 14, 2019
    Herts
    I ordered mine through Tec Bike Parts.

4. MTBskier

MTBskier Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    I installed the booster plug on my speed twin, and am not convinced that it did anything other than decrease my fuel mileage. In fact, yesterday I noticed my bike was jerky at steady RPM’s (around 3k) no matter the speed. Noticed it the most between about 30-60 mph. Never had any issue with this before the booster plug. Going to unplug it in the next few days and see how it goes after uninstalling. Disappointed for sure.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. adrian knight

Jul 8, 2019
    HAMPSHIRE
    Who did you purchase this from?
    What was the make of the plug?

6. MTBskier

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    Purchased directly from booster plug

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. MTBskier

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    I would be very interested to hear others experience with booster plugs, good or bad. I have read numerous reviews or people stating this was the most drastic change to their bike of any mod ever done. So for me to feel no difference, except for negative effects, makes me scratch my head.

8. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    Bought a booster plug a while ago and installed it into the air box trumpet. For a while I thought it was creating a smoother pickup when moving off but only when starting up in the morning not once the engine was warmed up. Used it for a month or so and noticed a small increase in fuel consumption (but that might have been as I got more familiar with riding the bike and using more throttle anyway). Took it off and cannot say I noticed any real difference.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    I have had one on my speed twin for a few months now cant say I can notice any difference to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  10. meepmeep

Jul 14, 2019
    Herts
    Tec-Parts

11. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #11 Flashp, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Had one on my 2018 Thruxton R for a bit, I hoped after reading the advertising blurb that it would address the stalling issue. The manufacture seemed to think it did but the reality was it made not a jot of difference. Power Commander and custom map resolved the stalling and gave it decent fuelling without hurting the economy to any appreciable degree. I think you can map these bikes through Tune ECU now.

On this subject, I'd add that I bought a Toga exhaust, an X pipe and Power Commander pre-loaded with a map from Norman Hyde as a kit for my T100 and it made a big difference to how the bike rides and sounds. I don't know what they have available for other bikes but it was worthwhile for the T100. Still does 69mpg too.

• Like Like x 2
  12. NightRider

NightRider Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Europe
    As far as I know the BP brings an improvement only, if the year of production of the bike is not younger than 2016 and the relevant software hasn't been updated since. In all other cases, the ECU will compensate immediately and the BP will be ineffective.

• Like Like x 2
  13. adrian knight

Jul 8, 2019
    HAMPSHIRE
    any of you willing to sell your fuel booster plug if your not happy with it.
    cheers Ady

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

Aug 1, 2019
    UK
    Booster plug made a massive positive difference on my Speed Twin, it's much nicer to ride now

• Like Like x 2
  15. adrian knight

Jul 8, 2019
    HAMPSHIRE
    What make did you install
    Cheers Ady

16. JPB

JPB Senior Member
    Subscriber

Aug 22, 2017
    Somerset
    I was chatting to a mechanic at my local Triumph dealer about the BP and he claimed it would invalidate the warranty! Not sure if he was correct. Any thoughts?

17. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I would say that Triumph will have no trouble dodging a claim if they chose to. Dealer discretion otherwise and depends on what they think about them.

18. MTBskier

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    I would be more than happy to sell you mine! Send me a message if you’re still interested.

• Like Like x 1
  19. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Throw this Booster plug idea in the BIN where it belongs !!!! Either bite the bullet so to speak and "tune" the bike on a rolling road (dyno) or get a new map in the ecu , Triumph Twin Power or equivalent , as a booster plug is bad for the motor (long term) bad for the environment (anytime it's fitted , raised emissions) and does nothing for horse power or torque !!!

I've dyno'd my bike twice , 2009 America , first time done 6 months after purchase and second one after 905cc big bore kit installation in 2017 . Both were money well spent $450 first one 1/2 day , $560 second time up , full day ~6•5 hours , gained 8 HP on first time std motor with air filter and open pipes , gained 12+ on second with air box opened up and everything SAI related gutted out ! Now produces 70+ HP and 60 ish ft/lbs of torque. Towed my 230kg camper trailer for 11,300 odd klms no problems , top speeds were easily maintained , overtaking was as simple as twist the wrist and go !

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Booster plug works well with non-programme ECUs (2017 on??). I find exceleration great.
    Once you maintain speed your exhaust sensors find over-fuelling and so wind back the mixture. I find fuel usage is minimally increased for the benefits (1200 Speedmaster)

• Like Like x 1