Speed Triple Won’t Turn Over

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by AlexB93, Jun 19, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. AlexB93

AlexB93 New Member

Jun 19, 2022
    Alberta canada
    Hey there,

New to the forum and new to Triumph. I have a 2014 speed triple I am trying to get going but not having much luck with it at this point.

I have put a brand new battery in it and when I turn the key everything lights up and I can hear the fuel pump. However when I hit the ignition I get nothing at all, no solenoid click or anything.

I was told it was the starter switch assembly but I took it apart and ran the tester on it to see if the switches were working and everything seemed to check out.

any idea appreciated

2. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Might be the place to start or starter relay. I know you said it was a new battery but a low battery will cause same symptoms.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    If the starter switch checks out, the starter relay is the next port of call. Also ensure the battery is fully charged, 'cos it wont be interested in firing up otherwise, he says speaking from bitter experience:mad:
    T

• Like Like x 2
  4. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Worcestershire
    Do you have the bike in neutral, clutch in and sidestand up when trying to start it? I'm not up withTrumpet starting procedures as I have a ditch pump but it could be a micro switch on either the sidestand or clutch leaver. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Check the clutch switch and the side stand switch. Just by-pass them with something like a screwdriver.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    A common problem. I've had it with mine. Checked all the switches, starter motor and brand new battery. Some claim the earth from the starter motor is too blame. With mine I would have to turn the bike off and on 3 or 4 times before it would start. But the last time I noticed after the clocks sweep and the change lights sweep, if I hit the starter it wouldn't start. But if I left until the temp gauge had also finished it sweep, it would start 1st time every time. So make sure it finishes all it start up routine before trying to start it.
    And as already mentioned, make sure your new battery is fully charged.

7. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    New battery may not be fully charged or not holding full charge, it happens sometimes. Check with meter.
    Other suggestions all good.

8. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    I assume the kill switch is in the run position? Also the battery terminals need to be nice and tight. It might be worth nipping them up a tad?

9. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    As per @littleade , sounds like a clutch/stand switch!?

10. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    You say there is no solenoid "click".
    An obvious check is to find the low power input to the solenoid - it should be zero volts with the ignition on but starter button not pressed. Now press the starter and the input voltage to the starter solenoid should be 12V and it should activate and "click" so as to feed power to the starter motor.
    1. If no change in input voltage, fault lies in wiring from starter button or button itself. check this circuit carefully
    2. If input voltage shows 12V - starter solenoid is fubarred - replace

11. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Check the fuses!

12. AlexB93

AlexB93 New Member

Jun 19, 2022
    Alberta canada
    Thanks everyone! I messed with the gear shift and for some reason that seemed to get it sorted out for now.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    So it was in gear with the stand down. That's why it would not start, even with the clutch pulled in.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Doh. Lol, hey we've all been there, well they have, I haven't.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1