Speed Triple - Tyres - Should I Change Both Or Not?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Mkelly21, Feb 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mkelly21

Mkelly21 New Member

Jun 22, 2019
    Essex
    Morning All,

I'm pretty sure that my rear tyre is ready to change on my Speed Triple (2014), but the front looks fine.

The tyres match front & back and are Metzler Z8's. They were on the bike when I bought it & I have no idea as to how much mileage they've done.

My dilemma is that the Z8 tyre is now pretty old & I've been eyeing up the Michelin Road 5 or the Metzler Roadtec 1.

If I can get a replacement Z8 tyre or is the done thing to replace both at same time?

Have attached some pictures - I don't think the front needs to be urgently changed but appreciate any feedback & previous experiences.

Thanks Mark

IMG_0831a.JPG

IMG_0833a.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #2 Eldon, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Its not absolutely necessary to change front and rear but generally the front profile goes altering the turn in etc.
    Does it look perished?
    What you dont want is a super sticky rear :yum with a cold hard touring front :confused:

If you do change makes the result can be unpredictable and theres the problem although not usually in a dangerous way.
    I had a 600 with an Avon Azaro rear and a Michelin front. Handling was good with excellent grip. I matched them up when the front was due and spoilt it compared to what I was used to.

If in doubt stay safe and change the pair as its one of the best improvements you can make on a bike £ for gain wise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    My Speed Triple usually gets the two rear tyres replaced to one front

Metzler, Michelin and Pirelli have all been the same

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Ah, tyres, I love threads on tyres. :rolleyes: You’ll get lots of opinions either way, both on whether to change them both, and what brand to go for. Eldon makes good points above and his advise is sound. If it was me I’d change them both and I can vouch for the Roadtec 01 both in terms of grip wet and dry and longevity.
    You could put another Z8 on the back and hope to get more out of the front, no harm in doing that if the Z8 is still available, it all depends how the front has worn. Bottom line, there’s nothing better than the feeling you get from two new tyres. Your call dude.;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Mkelly21

Mkelly21 New Member

Jun 22, 2019
    Essex
    Thanks for your invaluable replies & experiences. On this occasion & after some discussion with a couple of tyre fitting companies I've decided to just change the rear and then change both when they are ready to be done.

Not ideal to put another Z8 tyre on given that there are much newer tyres out there but the finances just won't stretch to two new tyres :(

Thanks to all who responded it's appreciated :party:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Over the years I have sometimes changed only a rear tyre when the front has still got wear in it. I alway matched the same tyres. On my thunderbisd LT I always replaced both tyres together. It was a big heavy bike and felt that changing both was the safest option. I had my favorite tyres over the years and would never offer an opinion to others as it is a such personal choice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Mkelly21

Mkelly21 New Member

Jun 22, 2019
    Essex
    Well this happened today, turned out the front tyre was just as worn so two new Michelin Road 5's for me. If my wife asks, I only spent £150 :cool:

IMG_0865a.JPG

IMG_0866a.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Is that front tyre on the right way?:confused:

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. roginoz

roginoz Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Wichita, KS
    Yes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I only ask as the apex of the tyre tread pattern usually points forward at the top of the tyre as can be seen on the rear tyre :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mkelly21

Mkelly21 New Member

Jun 22, 2019
    Essex
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mkelly21

Mkelly21 New Member

Jun 22, 2019
    Essex
    Yeah when I looked closer it didn’t look right. I’d have rather known if it was wrong so appreciate it you pointing it out :cool:

Like you say, learn something new everyday :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    £150 for two tyres that is a bargin, can you share where you got them or should I ask your wife :imp:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I'm with @dilligaf here as normally the road surface water is channelled from the centre out towards the edges hence why yours looks incorrect.
    Glad it isnt to save you having to mess about but easily done when taking loose wheels in i.e. without the bike.
    I always wax crayon a direction arrow on the tread centre if not changing it myself before i drop the wheels out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Bloody hell the gaps in those tread blocks in the rear tyre are just looking for a foreign object to enter them

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    What they actually do is pick up grit and tiny pebbles and then hurl them at following vehicles... I was following a bike with road 5's on Skye last year and was absolutely blasted by it.
    I actually have them on my Speed Triple now and love them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    My front tyre is on the same way as @Mkelly21 's
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2