Speed Triple tank drain!

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Jester Jak, Apr 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jester Jak

Jester Jak New Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Cornwall
    Whilst washing the bugs of my bike this evening I heard a bubbling sound from the fuel tank cap!?

Upon investigation I found that the filler neck drain plug was blocked and not allowing the water to drain away.

I lifted the tank and tried to blow back up the drain hose from the bottom up hoping to blow the blockage free. No joy. Disconnected the drain hose from the bottom of the tank and blew down the rubber hose and it was clear.

This proves the blockage was in the metal tube in the tank. I tried to feed an old nylon covered washing line down the vent hole but it wouldn't go, so I tried the opposite way round. It worked but not before it pulled some rusty junk out of the vent tube!!

My bike is a 12 plate and has been mainly ridden in the dry so I couldn't understand why it would become blocked! I have now sprayed some water displacing fluid down through the drain and allowed it to run free.

Just a heads up really but if left could it rot the vent tube? At the very least if the water does not drain from the filler neck it might end up in the fuel! this is something i will be checking every time I wash the bike now!!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Nice one, a much neglected area and one I will be checking this weekend. :p