Speed Triple T509 Valve Seals

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Michael Dooley, Feb 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Michael Dooley

Michael Dooley New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Mars
    Hi all,

I took on a 1998 Speed Triple T509 as a project and have been working my way through the simple stuff (oil, filters, coolant etc). However there is a smoking problem, blue/grey from the exhaust not loads but enough and although it dies away when the engine is warm you can see it again when the engine is revved.

I'm thinking (hoping) its the valve seals, has anyone replaced these on this engine? if so is it easy, any tips?
    Or has anyone paid to have it done? if so could you let me know how much it cost you please?

Sorry if this has been covered, I've searched and searched and can't find the answers.

Cheers,

Mike.

2. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Sounds like rings mate is the breather blocked? check it first may save you a fortune:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Michael Dooley

Jan 30, 2018
    Mars
    I was really hoping it wasn't rings. That's I'll check the breather.

4. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Agree. Sounds like rings to me :worried:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Michael Dooley

Jan 30, 2018
    Mars
    Thanks for the replies, what is it that makes you think rings though? I would have thought that would give thick smoke all the time rather than light smoke at start up and revs?

6. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Sound like engine is over breathing, can you unclip engine breather to air box, run engine & feel how much crankcase pressure there is? Worn rings will allow oil to be sucked into combustion chamber via pistons under engine braking, then you will get a blow of smoke once engine is loaded again (as you rev) :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Michael Dooley

Jan 30, 2018
    Mars
    A little update, Crankcase breather off and its full of oil. Ordered new rotary seal and gasket for the cover. I really hope its as simple as that!

8. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Could be!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Michael Dooley

Jan 30, 2018
    Mars
    An update on this, I replaced the crank case breather seal copying the way the old and visibly knackered one was. No change, blue smoke everywhere! whipped it back out and turned it around...almost smokeless! it's impossible not to damage those seals when you remove them so I ordered yet another one, put it in the opposite way to the one that was on the bike originally. It did still smoke a bit so I took the bike out for a short and careful ride (5 miles no more than 40mph) and no smoke, not at idle and not under revs.
    Started the bike up the next day, it was cold and the only thing from the exhaust was vapor and that burnt away quickly. since then I've serviced the brakes and taken it for a couple of test rides and there is no smoke at all.
    Plenty of people assured me it was the piston rings, pointed me towards low mileage engines for sale and recommended garages for a complete rebuild...two morals to this story:
    1. Don't panic, try the very easy stuff first.
    2. Just because something is installed on your bike doesn't mean it's done correctly. Especially if the bike is 20 years old!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    To be fair, everyone erred on th side of engine breather issues. The rings scenario (& there are other tests that can be carried out to check this) was the next stage of investigation if breather system was found to be tip top. I agree always start simple, because it usually is, unless you own a BMW o_O

• Like Like x 1