Speed Triple Sticky Gears

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by AJ65, Nov 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. AJ65

AJ65 New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Nantwich
    Just got my first Triumph. It is a 2011 1050 speed triple with 25k on the clock. Seemed ok but I noticed it would not go into neutral very easily and the gear change seemed heavy. Having never known any different it was a bit hard to judge. As it was is under a 90 day warranty I took it back to the dealer who diagnosed and fixed dry clutch plates. (Took them out and soaked them in oil overnight). Much better finding neutral, but do all speed triples have a slow heavy gearbox ? I know the bike has done a few miles, but my dealer is telling me that this is what they are like. If so, why does my ear feel so wet ? I would like to know if there is any truth to this and it is something you get used to ? Other than this the bike is great.
    My other daily rider is a 1961 AJS 650 with many thousands of miles on the clock.....it has a sweeter gearbox....??

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    They are sometimes called clunky.I like to think of them as solid

3. AJ65

AJ65 New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Nantwich
    Thanks for the feedback, both of you. If it is a "get used to it" kind of thing, then it sounds like a nice problem to have. Like I say, it is something else in every other respect and I look forward to the miles ahead. Lets go with "solid".

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    #4 chuk, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    my 2011 was similar the fix of soaking plates I've seen mentioned before,an oil change may also help i would also buy a stand and keep bike vertical i found this has made the neutral selection much easier,the warrior stand is under £50 a bargain if bike is on sidestand it makes neutral selection much more of a problem imho I'm speaking of personal experience,also check and adjust free play of clutch cable 1 more thing check the torx bolts at gearpedal assembly where it bolts to frame i found mine loose,i would say the gearbox is not the smoothest and a tad clunky no biggie my old r1 was silly smooth in comparison but I'm used to it and still love the bike overall.

5. AJ65

AJ65 New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Nantwich
    Thanks for the info, I have an abba stand so I will send off for the correct brackets. I will also check the gear pedal assembly. I suspect the oil may not be the correct viscosity so I will also take care of that. If anyone has a hint for the best oil then that would be great.
    I have done a few more hours on it now and feel much better knowing that I must learn to get the best out of it, rather than something is wrong with it. I was concerned I was breaking something. The power and handling more than make up for the "solid" gearbox though.

6. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    10/40 synthetic engine oil is recommended, i use Silkolene :)

7. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    True, Triumph gearboxes are only now starting to get anywhere near where they should be, my 20 year old Bandit still has a better shift mechanism than my 6 month old Speed Triple, which in turn has a much better shift mechanism than the previous generation.

Somebody once tried to tell me it was because Triumph gearboxes are designed for more powerful engines, so I guess the Hayabusa, with it's slick gearbox, must be a bit underpowered then.....

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    The more powerful engine was a tractor lol

9. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    the only time the gearbox can be considered smooth by any means is when its getting a good thrashing,if your gunning it bike seems to go up and down gears far easier than at normal speeds (the bike made me do it officer).

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. AJ65

AJ65 New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Nantwich
    Just an update. I have a vertical stand now, the dealer has soaked the plates and the oil has been changed to silkolene. A vast improvement ! A very big thank you to all who helped : )

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    that's good to hear forums are great for fellow bikers to give and receive help,best advice is always from folk who have had similar issues,i always use the warrior stand on bike now gear changes bit better but best thing is neutral is far easier to select which was a right chore before.